Cub Cadet Enforcer eating belt.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ALC-GregH, May 15, 2008.

1. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I bought a Enforcer about 4 weeks ago, and I had to get a new belt twice now. It somehow jumps one of the pulleys and get torn up. It wouldn't give any notice that it does it and next thing ya know, I smell rubber burning. Look down and see shredding on the top of the deck from the belt. Look under and see the belt jumped and it's all torn up. Didn't break, so I was able to re-install the belt and finish. The dealer has given me both belts and I'm getting ready to head their way and drop it off so they can take a look. The left gas tank is leaking as well and they have that there waiting to replace. Also the deck will only cut at a maximum height of 3" with the deck all the way at it's highest setting. Then the last thing that happened, the right steering dampener fell off. I just happened to look the mower over and noticed it hanging down. I bought this mower because it's small but has a 54" deck. I didn't want anything smaller cut wise since all of my client's have open yards. I though a 54" cut would be the best all around size so I went with it. I like the overall size and the cut, but the reliability is the big issue. It doesn't hold a hill very well either and I understand some of it has to do with the weight. Price was the issue as I can't go any larger, however, they are a Scag dealer as well and I could have gotten the Freedom Z for pretty much the same price. Not sure now whether I made the right choice or not. Has anyone used a Freedom Z that can offer a un-biased opinion on the overall picture of the mower? Should I inform them that if it blows another belt, they can just take it back. The thing only has 21hrs on it! I can't be worried that it may blow a belt off at any time. It's my main mower and it has to be reliable. Are the Freedom Z's going to hold up to daily use? Or will I be buying into another mower with different more costly problems? I'm stuck on the fence, help me out.... :confused:;)

2. rocketranger289

rocketranger289 LawnSite Member

I bought an Enforcer last july and have used it to mow my yard about 1.5 acres since and have about 15 hours on it so far with no problems yet, and it has worked very good for me.

3. ALC-GregH

from PA

It cuts great. I can't take that away. I just don't want to have to worry if it's going to eat another belt. It's at the dealer now. I'll let them see what they can do. I ordered a bagger kit for it as well.

I just talked to them again and told them that if they can't figure it out, I'll want a full refund on the mower and try again. He kinda agreed that if it's something wrong they can't figure out, he'd get me in another mower. I looked at a Recon 60. It's built the same way only it has heavier motors and pump. I might go that route.

4. rocketranger289

I was thinking about getting a bagger, how much does it cost?

5. ALC-GregH

from PA

the standard kit is around $450-500 and the power assist is, sit down, $1799!!!! I wanted to get the power assist but man, thats alot of money for a bagger set-up. I figure, I'm a solo working for myself, if it takes me an extra 5 minutes to un-clog it, so be it. Now if I had 6 guys working for me, that would be different, those 5 minutes are costing me money, if I'm solo, it only cost me time, not time AND money.

6. rocketranger289

Wow that is enough for the power assist but sounds about right for the standard. Is that a 2 or 3 bag unit?

7. ALC-GregH

from PA

2 bag 8 bushel...

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I have a friend who I think has the same model. He bought it last year and within 50 hours he had beeen though more than 10 belts. He finally told them to bring another mower and keep his until it was fixed. He has had the new mower (Cub Tank) since mid last summer and so far this year. They haven't called or talked to him since picking up his mower. He figures they are even. I think the Dealer just forgot about him, it's a fairly big shop but not real good on paperwork. I figure he's okay until he needs it serviced.

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Cub has a service letter out concerning that problem, that your dealer should know about. I don't recall the exact details, but there is a problem with belt tension that is causing the belt to break. It has way too much tension on it. The service info. tells the dealer how to adjust the tension to correct the problem. If that does not work, I believe they also have a different pulley to install. Of course, this is all covered under warranty. We sold only one Enforcer at our shop, and, I was not too pleased with the quality control. The one we sold had numerous problems we had to fix under warranty.

10. ALC-GregH

from PA

thanks for the replies. I'm going over to pick up the mower. I ordered a bagger kit (non-power) but I'm reluctant to even get it. I'm starting to think I bought the wrong mower and don't know what to do. I have a new client that needs to be cut and bagged (very over grown hasn't been cut since it was seeded and it's a brand new home) as it has a large amount of straw still on the ground. I'm just not sure what to do. The dealer has had the mower since Wed. of last week and the bagger never came in when they said it would so my original plan to mow the lawn on Saturday was shot out the window. I even told him to get a mower with bagger ready for me to use but he said they didn't have any with a bagger. He says he "hopes" it gets here today. The customer called 2 days ago (Saturday) about getting it mowed and I explained my situation and assured him I would have it looking good after I'm finished and it will get better each week. I have to bag this lawn the first few times to keep from having straw blown all over the place.

Now, if the bagger doesn't come in today and they don't have a mower set up with a bagger to use, I may lose this customer if I'm not there TO-DAY. I really can't afford to lose this guy since his wife is on the community board and they said they would work on the neighbors to help me get more customers. Should I tell the dealer to just take it back and I'll go to a different dealer and buy a different mower? I don't want to get stuck in a mower that isn't going to hold up and a dealer that doesn't seem to be concerned about my business?
    HELP PLEASE....... thanks