Cub Cadet - going in reverse - mower not engaged?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jonce, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Jonce

Jonce LawnSite Member
    from MN

I have a new Cub Cadet Z-Force 44 ZTR and I noticed that the mower shuts off every time I go in reverse. From everything I have read on this forum, you should be engaging your mower at the lowest RPM's as possible to reduce wear and tear on the clutch. I am going to assume this is a safety feature from Cub but how do you do a 3 point turn around and avoid shutting the mower off when going in reverse?

Also, do you think this mower will last a few years mowing lawns part time or should I be looking for Tank, Exmark, etc. come Fall/Spring? My mower has about 10 hours on it right now.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Your mower is closer to being along the lines of the homeowner model. I just fixed a tractor like this for a kid next door to one of my jobs who (the kid) likes to stripe. There is a safety switch somewhere (probably toward the bottom of both sticks - undr the seat). It will be a metal to metal contact. If you just unplug the wire (just a tongue clip), this will take care of your problem. You would burn that clutch out in a matter of months, otherwise.

3. Jonce

Jonce LawnSite Member
    from MN

Thanks Runner.

After buying this mower, I realized that I could make some money on the side. If I would've had my head out of my arse, I would've been looking at the commercial units. Will these commercial units have the same reverse safety switch or will they continue mowing in reverse?

What can you buy for $5-6k commercial quality? Or will I need to spend $7-8k for something worth while? I'm looking at new or demo hours only.

4. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Are you looking for strictly ZTR's or are w/b's ok as well?

5. Jonce

Jonce LawnSite Member
    from MN

LawnBoy89, I'm looking for ZTR's.

I just looked at a Exmark LazerZ HP (23HP, 52" cut) and they wanted $8800 for it new (model year 2005).

6. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Payed 7000. for my M60 Tank, and no, Cub commercial units do not have a reverse safety. :blob3:

7. Jonce

Jonce LawnSite Member
    from MN

Riches139 - how do you like your M60 Tank? How's the cut compared to other ZTR's you have used? Does it come with a striping roller from factory?

8. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Cub Cadet and Lesco are the same machines. Lesco is usually less expensive, all made by Commercial Turf Products, owned by MTD.
    I went with Cub Cadet because of dealer support. Lesco usually doesn't have inhouse warranty and repair service.
    As for comparisons, from what I demoed, this was the best overall machine for the money.
    Mine is a 2004. Cuts and strips great, and yes, comes with striping rollers.
    The 2005 models come with "wide track".
    I haven't seen one of these yet, haven't had time. Also not sure on price because of steel price increases.

9. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

I have got a Tank 54 and it was a demo paid @5500 had like 10 hours on it. Good warranty and run and cuts great. Like riches said the comm. do not have that reverse switch thank god.

10. Jonce

Jonce LawnSite Member
    from MN

I fixed my ZTR last night. There is a plug with two wires on each safety switch. You can't just unplug the plastic plug and get it to work. Unfortunately doing that won't even let you start the mower engagement. To fix it, I just unsnapped the safety switch from the metal bracket and plugged the wires back in. Then I taped the wires and safety switch to the inside of the cosmetic panel - works like a charm. It's so much easier mowing lawns now that I'm not worried about the mower turning off/on multiple times.