1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cub Cadet good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by moneyclass, Oct 21, 2011.

1. moneyclass

moneyclass LawnSite Member

New to the landscaping biz and narrowed it down that I want to start with a walk behind. Also definitely going with a hydro over the belt driven.

Cub cadet has a reasonable priced 52" hydro mower brand new 2012. Will I be happy with Cub Cadet? Is that a good brand that will last me a long time.
  2. A+Grounds

A+Grounds LawnSite Member

my dealer told me cub cadet is made by MTD. do yourself a favor and get a quality mower. bob cat, gravely, bunton, and bad boy all make great discount mowers!
  3. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

Use the search thingy. Cub is a POS.
  4. 2stroked

2stroked LawnSite Senior Member

Bought a cub cadet walk behind a month ago to test it out because it was a good deal. Next week it was back at home cheepo with a blown transmission. Simple answer is no, they suck.
  5. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

well, think about it...it's called a "cub cadet." that's gotta be the gayest name i've ever heard of...they might as well have named themselves "fairytrikes"

on a serious not though, if it's made by mtd then definitely not, they are a cheap brand...the others that were mentioned are decent machines for the price, i guess, but i would personally go with a toro, exmark, or john deere as the top three...

wise choice going with hydro over belt

you can find a decent walk behind for around 1200 i would say...i have a john deere 48" walk behind hydro drive that i don't use anymore, i bet i could only get 1200 out of it at most...would be a great start up mower, especially for the main mower...mine has always been a great mower up to the day our grandstands made it obsolete and it was very used before i bought it...look around and get a good brand is my opinion
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  6. gebby

gebby LawnSite Senior Member

I second what everybody else has said. I will add this. Yes you can buy cheap. Cheap will get you no where when your new mower is in the shop more than with you. Your frustration level will be very high. You soon will get disgusted and just give up. Buy professional equipment. There is a difference. The money you think you are saving now will soon disappear in lost sales and, repairs. Good luck with your decision.
  7. moneyclass

moneyclass LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the opinions.....not one good thing about cub cadet. You guys just saved me like 4 grand. Thanks!!! Ill keep looking around
  8. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

I have the push one that my friend sold to me. I think he got it at lowes or Home cheapo. Well it's not even been a year and it keeps shutting off and now it wont start. Throwing it in the road lol.
  9. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

If $4000 is your budget for a used mower you need to look for a used commercial mower, not a new homeowner unit that will break in it first season. $4000 can buy a pretty decent used machine.
  10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't go so far as saying all Cub equipment is crap, but I think you can do better than their walk behind mowers. Their utility and compact utility tractors are actually very nice, built by Yanmar. My Exmark dealer is also a Cub dealer.