Cub Cadet M48 23 kaw or Scag Tiger Cub 19 Kaw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pedro, Apr 16, 2007.

1. pedro

pedro LawnSite Member

hey guys i am a newbie to this site (i have been cutting as a sideline bus for 22 years) i am looking at a scag 19 hp kaw kai vs M48 tank 23 hp the price is about the same i am using a scag walk behind and it has been a great machine but i need to be able to cut faster do you guys think the 19 is too little engine i really like scag my friend owns a lawn equipment business so my choices are scag, toro, and cub cadet i have owned both cub cadet and scag
    i could step up to the 23 vanguard or 23 kaw on the 52 inch deck but it is more money and i am sideline thanks for your help

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Our M48 has the 23 kaw and it is great.

3. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

hey pedro, i hate to be the grammar police, but a little punctuation here and there would be great. i see you're in the south. so am i, and we have a tough enough time convincing those yankees that we know a darn thing any way!!!!! so, next time throw in a comma here, a period there and a question mark at the end of an interrogative. heck, if'n ya reely won'ta throw'm fer a loop, start a new perrygraph ever' once 'n a while.

to answer your question, for a residential user i might recommend a 19, but i think a 23 for a commercial cutter is better. have you demoed either??????

4. pedro

pedro LawnSite Member

Nmurph,
    No problem, I can make my post grammatically correct. I know how to use commas, paragraphs, transitions and other things I cannot even spell. My other forum does not use grammar, so please accept my apology.

pedro

5. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

we're a little more snooty over here!!!!!!!!! i don't know where someone got the idea to leave out punctuation. it takes so little time to put it in, and make the reading easier and more clear.
    welcome to LS. are you having any rain over there? we are EXTREMELY dry over/down here. no measurable rain in a month and we had a dry winter so we are in a huge deficit. i have a new house which we have not moved into, yet. the centipede is totally brown. i have irrigation but i don't won't to use it b/c it will just mean a second yard to care for.

6. pedro

pedro LawnSite Member

No rain over her yet. There is a chance of rain late tonight.

7. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Well in my area there are tc every where,scag would be my pick.

8. pedro

pedro LawnSite Member

I am bumping this to see if I can some more opinions on the Kaw 19 (KAI). I am a light person (165lbs) and all my yards are well kept and do not go over two weeks (most average 10 days).

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Honestly I wouldnt go with a 19 on a 52" deck. 23 would be my minimum on a 52" machine.

10. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Pro Street, however if the 19HP is going on a 48", I would think that would be sufficient. I have a 19HP with a 48" deck, and it does great.

They say that the 19HP Kawi and the 23HP are actually the same block, but different jets or different carb either one. Also I have heard that the HP curve on the two are similar, while the 23HP drinks more fuel. Hope some of this helps.

Matt