Cub Cadet M60 Tank Purchase

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bcsman, Aug 4, 2006.

1. bcsman

bcsman LawnSite Member
    from MI

Just purchased a 2003 Cub M60 Tank. It has the 25 hp Kawasaki and has 524 hours on the meter and picked it up for $4475. Excellent exterior condition with barely a scratch or dent and it drove and performed well in my test run. Deck seemed tight as I could stand on either end with very little sway. Hydro system did not whine nor was there any jerky motion either using both sticks or individually forward or reverse. Ready to mow as the dealer has serviced all fluids and filters, greased, and put new blades on. Couple questions, especially for those that have tanks:

1) Anything I should look for in this machine with 524 hours??
    2) Are belts an issue on this model, read a few negatives??
    3) What kind of life generally on the hydro pumps and system??
    4) How many hours are you commercial mowers putting on this model and with what success??

Thanks for any input, should get delivery tomorrow and need it badly, lots or rain and grass GROWING!! Initially steered away from this used Tank because of my negative feeling towards MTD. But after doing some reading on different forums it appears to be a "cut", no pun intended, above the standard MTD's. Just looking for some feedback on my purchase and hope I'm not disappointed with it! Just generally wondering how these machines are holding up especially with the commercial mowers.

Brian S.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

The first thing is to change your hydro fluid,how does it look dirty.
  3. bcsman

bcsman LawnSite Member
    from MI

I get delivery tomorrow. I'll ask the dealer, but he said all fluids and filters were changed.
  4. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

524 hours for a commercial machine only on its 4th season
    is not a lot of hours . When they deliver it look at that meter closely and see if there any tenths on it.

You say it is in real good shape as far as the appearance. It could have been in storage and only has 52.4 hours.

5. bcsman

bcsman LawnSite Member
    from MI

Pretty sure it's 524 hours, but that would sure be OK if it were 52.4 hours!! The guy I'm buying from buys and sells only used equipment from auctions etc. He's a retired GM worker that does this for a hobby. When I went to test drive and look at the machines he had advertised he had 2 or 3 JD tractors torn down in his shop. They pretty well go through and look at everything and repair or replace what needs to be. Not saying they are "new" when resold, but everything he had sitting out for sale was what I consider in excellent condition. Kind of have the impression if something looks "beaten" he probably stays away from it, because he wouldn't want to resale something he doesn't trust. He said he didn't have to do much to this mower so hopefully all will go well!
  6. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to know how it works for ya, I just looked at a new M60 today. I like it but it seems as if many people do not like them. Let me know how you like it and most of all how it cuts.
  7. bcsman

bcsman LawnSite Member
    from MI

Very pleased and impressed with my Cub M60. Never had a ZTR mower before so nothing to compare it to, but cut my mowing time from 5 1/2 -6 hours to around 3! The only thing that seems to slow this machine down while cutting is how bumpy my lawn is. If I had a golf course smoothness I could really fly!! Had ALOT of rain here in Michigan from the first part of August til now and have had to mow every 5 days. Had to mow many times so far when the grass was WET and even then did a pretty nice job. It did blow a few grass clumps, but I don't know any mower when cutting grass wet enough to blow water vapor out the chute doesn't get a bit clumpy!! Good power and did I mention SPEED!! Only thing I don't like is the mower deck adjustments are in 1/2 inch increments, but I believe a newer mower is in 1/4. Have found a work-around for that tho.

THe reason many have harsh words about the Tank is they have the Cub Cadet name on them and since being bought out by MTD have really gone down in quality. But the commercial mowers such as the Tank are made in a different factory to much different specs. The parts are high quality as can be seen by their 3 year warranty. Most anyone that has driven of used one has very good comments about them. You can't compare the Tank to the residential cubs, not even in the same ballpark. These are made to do some serious cutting.

Guess that about covers it--let me know if there's any questions you have I maybe can answer!! If not good luck--think you'll really like it.

See you live in Shelby Township--I live in the thumb between Port Huron & Flint!! Small world huh??