Cub Cadet M60 Tank

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JECHRIST123, Oct 19, 2005.

1. JECHRIST123

JECHRIST123 LawnSite Member

I have a problem with my 2004 Cub Cadet M60 Tank where the deck keeps on building up with grass, it gets so bad that after 3 hours of cutting I have to scrape out the underside of the deck. I also have been only cutting when the grass is dry, and I don't do any commercial cutting with this. I was wondering if anybody else has this problem?
    Thanks Jeff

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'll tell you exactly what your problem is. Your deck is pitch is off. The front of the deck needs to be tilted abd that helps the machine discharge and cut better. On most machines the pitch is anywhere fron 1/8" to 1/4". Check your operators manual to find out for sure and the manual will also tell you how to adjust it.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Is this a stamped deck or the one welded up out of flat steel?

I ask this because I have a 60" Lesco Z (same mower) and I'm just utterly amazed how clean my deck stays. Even with the mulch kit on it stays clean. I even ran it for days in wet grass... and took pictures to show how it performs. That was the last time I cleaned it.

It's possible it could be the deck pitch and your conditions. I can give you simple instructions to adjust it too if need be. But I've toyed with several settings and I haven't experienced a change with regard to clogging.

So I'd rather ask you what blades you are running and what you are cutting?
    Also, what is your engine RPM reading?

The only thing I have ever seen stick to my deck was when I bushogged down a jungle of pure wet crabgrass. But even that didn't stay in there. What it did was stick to the top of the deck and build into a think layer.... and the blade force would inch it across the deck top... slowly sliding it along and out the dishcharge opening, where it would then fall out in the most monsterous cow pies I've ever seen... ever! But the deck still cleared by the end of the job and self-cleaned.

4. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

The M60 has a fabricated deck. The only Tank that has a stamped deck is the M50 which is a Z-Force in Tank clothing. All the other Tanks have fab'd decks.

You learn something new every day on this forum. Thanks Travis.

Have a great day,
    Doc

5. JECHRIST123

JECHRIST123 LawnSite Member

The mower has been back to the dealer 5 times for the grass build up problem. They re-pitched the deck several times, it is pitched so much that the wheels on the front of the deck dig in when you have any uneven terrain, especially when going around trees. The wheels have flat spots in them. They tried putting gator blades on but the problem is still there. The dealer told me we are the first ones to ever complain about the grass buildup. I have seen scags cut when the grass is wet and looked under the deck and the deck is shiny no grass buildup. I come to believe that I made a costly mistake when I bought the Cub Cadet M60 Tank.

Jeff

6. Envy Lawn Service

This is not normal and I assure you I'll do my best to help you get to the bottom of this.
    I'll return later tonight and post more.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Here is a picture of the only time I have scraped my deck.

This was after cutting in the wettiest conditions immaginable for days.
    The idea was to get the deck as dirty as possible.

underdeck1.jpg

8. Envy Lawn Service

As you can see here, there really wasn't nothing much in there to get out.

underdeck2.jpg

9. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

I got a TANK 54 and the only grass build up is when it gets stuck on the discharge, that is when I bungee it up some, the grass spreads out. Only do this on the lawns with nice flat lawns with no dog sh*t:dizzy: Also check with WRIKEN on this site, he has all the Cubs and Im sure he can help you out for sure. Good luck and please keep us posted.

10. derbydon

derbydon LawnSite Member

There is a product you can buy from Tractor Supply called "Mowdeck" or something like it. It's a silicone coating in a can - just like a Teflon pan. I coat my machines about 2 - 3 times a year to prevent buildup.