Cub Cadet M60 Tanks/Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ccll, Feb 21, 2006.

1. ccll

ccll LawnSite Member

I'm looking for some feedback on the tanks. I got a quote today of $7400 for a new M60 Tank with 28hp EFI Kohler and $7550 for new M60 with a 29hp DFI liquid cooled Kawasaki, they are both Wide Track models also. I'm not really in the market for a rider, but deals like that are hard to pass up. I've not had any experience with the Cubs, I've used about everything else, Exmark, Scag, Grasshopper, etc., Just wondering if they measure up to these other brands. Any of you guys who have ran them or are currently using them, I would appreciate your feedback.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You can't do any better than these. Nuff said.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Now I know you are probably going to ask which engine... right?

Frankly it don't matter I don't think.
    Both are fuel injected, one is liquid cooled, the other is simple.

Now, having those thoughts and the experience I have with this mower frame, I can tell you I would probably go with the 29hp L/C DFI if they could show me the fuel consumption was close. Now here is the only reason why...

These mowers earn the name TANK. They are built very heavy duty. So the front end feels heavy when you are operating it. You'll see what I mean when you demo one. Anyways, I would be edging towards this engine choice because the extra stuff would add extra rear ballast weight to the rear end. So I'm thinking the mower might feel a bit more nimble with the heavier engine choice.

Have you seen the new CAT diesel powered units yet?

4. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

That's about what they run all the time so if you are not really in the market for one, I wouldn't buy now because your getting such a good deal.

5. Envy Lawn Service

You know, I envy you all who have great Cub dealers with great prices in your area.

I'm stuck with neither right now.
    The great dealer here does not have the commercial line.
    The other just sucks.
    And the last one is a flat out jerk.

Starting price for the base units is about 8K here and I would have paid that to a good dealer.

But instead, I ended up going to Lesco for mine, which is working out great.
    But with them I don't have all the engine options....

6. ccll

ccll LawnSite Member

Envy,
    I see your using the Lesco's and I know the Lesco's and the Cub's are Identical machines. How do they do as far as quality of cut, clumping and clipping dispersal in lush or wet grass conditions? These wide track models look like they have a wider wheel base than even the Scag Turf Tigers, so they gotta hold pretty well on a steep hill. The 3 year warranty sounds pretty good too.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Well, they top every other mower I have used so far in cut quality. This deck does everything well. Ordinarily I couldn't give you much info on discharging, but with this mower I acutually side discharged a while with it when I first got it. Reason being was it was one of the few that showed me up front it was able to match my standards. Turns out it's the best I have seen in that category by far. But it also does well with the mulch kit. The stripes are excellent too.

Mine is not a wide track. But I wish it was. But not for extra hilling ability. Mine is a goat for a ZTR. I can't complain there and I like the extra trim ability I have. But, the reason I would rather have the wide track is the fact the tires are farther apart.... which makes them easier on turf when turning. During a zero turn, their actual turn circle/arc is larger and with the wider stance they also have added natural leverage for turning. Does this make sense?

Everything is just flat out well done, over done, well thought out, and easy to deal with on this mower. I could talk all day about the small details I've grown to appreciate. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

In my opinion, unless some of the "new for 2006" models from other brands are drastically better, this mower is the best possible choice for me and will stay that way.

They are a better designed, better performing machine, and they cost less money.
    You can't beat that.

8. ccll

ccll LawnSite Member

Envy
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm going to try and get a demo, hence try, alot of these dealers around here aren't crazy about giving people a mower to demo. That includes dealers in all the different brands, Exmark, Hustler, Deere etc,.and alot of them only started carrying commercial mowers 2-3 years ago.
    The lawn maintenance business is really growing here, as is the area I live in, so some of them are starting to realize if they want to get commercial users to buy from them their going to have to prove what their selling is worthy of commercial use. Again, thanks for the advise.

9. Envy Lawn Service

It's the same here. I'll dig up the story about me trying to get a Cub demo here local. It was at the Jerk dealer and what was said when I asked for a demo is why they carry that name from me.

If there are any more questions about anything at all, feel free to ask and I will answer when I can. I know what it's like being in your shoes....

10. Envy Lawn Service

Oh, if you want to demo the new Hustler Super Z XR-7, we will just have to talk with Pj here on lawnsite.

I'm certain he can make that happen for you.