1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cub Cadet Pto

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Dan Hosey, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Dan Hosey

Dan Hosey LawnSite Member

The pto on my Cadet needs to be changed. Would appreciate some help on how to remove it. If i turn the bolt that holds it on,the whole pto turns.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I use a impack wrench, If you don't have one you can pull the plugs and rotate the te engine by hand clockwise till one of the pistons reach top dead center compression stroke. Then rotate it back counterclock wise about 2" and feed about 4 or 5" of # 4 1/2 recoil rope into the plug hole leaving enough sticking out to remove it when done. When tightening the bolt, Remove the rope and rotate the piston 2" past top dead center and reinstall the rope and tighten. When done remove the rope, Install the plugs and call it a day.
  3. Dan Hosey

Dan Hosey LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. Appreciate it a lot.
  4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

That would be alot of pressure on the cylinder heads tho, wouldnt it?
  5. Restrorob

Not at all , This procedure is outlined right in the Briggs & Stratton Service Manual for removing the flywheel bolt or recoil clutch, The torque on these two is way beyond any 7/16" PTO crank screw.
  6. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, Rob, I like that procedure. I am gonna try it sometime. Usually I will put the shallow 6-point socket on the breaker bar, hold it all in place and then "shock" the whole set-up with a swift blow from a ballpeen hammer. BUT, always remember "Lefty-Lucy, Righty-Tighty" when using my method.
  7. Restrorob

Yeah It's a neat trick, I've been stuck using it a few times on the weekends when I left my impact at work. The important part is making SURE your on compression stroke so you don't damage a valve. It works on all small engines including 2 cycle, But on them do NOT run the piston down more than 1/2" you don't want the rope to enter the intake or exhaust ports.