Cub Cadet Recon

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mag360, Feb 14, 2008.

1. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone seen it yet? Looks to be pretty solid for a lower price-point machine.
    Command cut deck, tapered roller bearings in the spindles (greaseable), kanzaki pumps, and white wheel motors. All on the same frame as the tanks---23 kohler on the 48 for around $6,000 (list) and 25 kohler on the 60 for around $6500.

CCC_RECON-60.jpg

2. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

wow, thats cheap for a 60 inch brand new. Im glad that they are offering the KC, i really like that engine. When is this coming out? Do u think it will have good reliablity ratings?

3. mag360

I think they are available for order already. Looks like they'll hold up to commercial use---the 48 has a good power to deck ratio. I think the decks are only 11 guage steel with additional plates for bracing, so that would be something to consider. Looks pretty close to the tank they were making a few years ago and for similar pricing.

4. DK lawn care

hmm, i wonder why they priced these so low? Chip are u running tanks?

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Good pumps and wheel motors? That would be a factor. Envy always liked the Leso/Cub cut.

6. DK lawn care

Ive always been a fan of cub cadet to. I started off with a LT 1042 and i beat the crap outta that thing. 840 hours in 2.5 years. It doesnt use oil, starts up on first turn on key.

7. mag360

The drive system is definitely an important factor in my mind---Kanzaki dup10 are the pumps which I think are the ones on our Deere 757 which have been flawless for the first 900-1000 hours so far. I don't have any knowledge about the white wheel motors. Top speed is 10mph on 23x9.5 tires which are nice on the 48 but undersized for the 60 in my opinion.

Actually the 48 is stacking up to be a nice alternative to the $7000 tank m48.

8. mag360

Actually we haven't used cub cadet yet. Currently have three 61inch scags---two turf tigers and a three wheeler, a john deere 757, and a 61inch husqvarna.
    The cub dealer (also sells ferris) is willing to work a couple deals for us and has taken good care of us in the past. I bought the husqvarna from them 4 years ago and they took care of us for a while---then ran into employee issues and the service and parts management suffered a little---they recently cleaned house and have a good group there now. The owner has always been top notch with after the sale support and he seems willing to cut a decent deal on a combo purchase this spring.
    We are looking at two 60inch tanks---a leftover '07 with the 25 kawi and a new '08 with the 31 kawi and new deck---the recon model interests me but I want one with extra hp (the 31) to run a collection system and we should be able to get the '07 tank for close to the price of the 60inch recon which makes it a no brainer to get the heavier machine. Eventually we'll probably be all cub---everything will be for sale this spring except for the '07 turf tiger (because I can't sell it for enough $$$)

9. DK lawn care

Let me kno how it goes. Ive thought bout buying a tank before my exmark but i didnt kno how relialbe they were. I actually want a tank more then my exmark. But i heard to many good things about the exmark so i bought my lazer ct. Eventually i would like to get a tank. BTW, i bought this machine used, when i bought it had 150 hours. It now has 290 and i have gone through two head gaskets. It turns out throughout the first 150 hours, the prev owner never ever changed the oil. So when i changed it right after i bought it, it had the orig oil in it from the fact lol.

10. mag360

I wouldn't expect that to kill an 18 kohler---those motors can go 100+ hours between regular oil changes.

Are you sure the hours are correct? We have a 2007 scag turf tiger, bought july of last year, that killed the hour meter at 300 hours. Dealer put a new one on and made a note for us of the actual hours but it would be pretty easy to hide and sell with 40 hours on the meter. (or it could have been unplugged for half the mower's life)