Cub Cadet RZT 50" Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Suburban Cowboy, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Suburban Cowboy

Suburban Cowboy LawnSite Member

Hey Guys!

I am looking to buy a new mower. My current one is a 1984-85 scag. I have been looking to replace it. Since, I do not have a lot of accounts I am somewhat limited in what I should get.

I have been lookng at the Cbu Cadet RZT 50" - 2999.00 - approx.

I do not do a ton of cutting that I can justify a Scag rider or something similar.

Therefore, what do you think of the RZT 50? I know it is a residential mower, but I am only a 10 house cutter / week.

If you do not like the cub-what can I get for similar $? Thanks!

2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

If your yards are not big why not a used walkbehind. you could get a used hydro with a sulky for about the same price as the rzt. At least the walkbehind would be commercial. I wouldnt recommend useing a non-commercial mower commercially.

3. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

If it was used for just 10 accounts, it may work if you take care of it. If you are planning on growing your business I would not consider it.

4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Get a Scag 48" belt drive walk with the Velocity deck. It will cut infinitely better than the RZT (which is really a crappy mower and does not hold up well at all).

5. Etsugator

Etsugator LawnSite Member

I bought the cub as my second mower. The first one I had was just a regular mower. For the price I don't think you can beat this mower. The cut was just as good as my scaggs and the comfort of it is great also. The biggest problem with it was on hills. It could do some but nothing to big. If you do get it put some sealer in the frount tires.

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Warranty 3-year/120-hour limited

And that's for HOMEOWNER use. How long might a lawnmower only protected for 120 hours of HOMEOWNER USE really last you commercially?

You say you have 10 houses a week. I'll figure maybe 30 minutes a house for the mower. So, 5 hours of cutting a week. So you'll get through maybe 6 months (or 24 weeks) worth of cutting before you reach the point that MTD expects it to last for a homeowner cutting their grass an hour a week (at the most).

But hey, if you can't afford a new commercial mower now and have to buy that RZT... well, just make sure you hold on to your old Scag so you'll have something to use while the Cub is "up on blocks".

And since you asked, for "similar money" , an Ariens Zoom 2450 is on promo in 2008 for $2999. Or the Gravely ZT2450 which may be on 2008 Promo at the same price.

7. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

here's an idea. If you're looking at expanding your business at some point, get the Scag WB and then buy a Z when you have more accounts.

8. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

Get the velky your scag will cut faster if its a 48 maybe just about the same if its a 36. The cub only goes about 6 mph.

9. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have this mower. 300+ hours and the only problem I had was the deck cables broke twice after I hit tree stumps. It has a good cut and is well worth having for the amount of lawns you mow.

I also retrofitted a spraying system with boom on the mower. For 3K I have a nice mower and sprayer. Can't beat that.

10. equip4u

equip4u LawnSite Member
    from pa

The RZT series has no warranty for commercial use. You are kind of on your own with it. I would at least reccomend the z force 50. It is a $1000 more but it is money worth spending. It has a much heavier frame and you can add oil to the hydros and change the filters. The control arms have dampners so your arms won't get as fatigued. It also has foot control deck lift. This is nicer than having to reach down to raise the deck any time you want to raise the deck. I think you also get 1 year commercial warranty on it also?