Cub Cadet RZT 54?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by marymoon, Apr 18, 2008.

1. marymoon

marymoon LawnSite Member

Any thoughts on this particular machine? I've read tons about the 50" and smaller, but relatively none on the 54". It seems to be a little better than the smaller Cub Cadet RZT's with a 25hp Kawasaki engine and Dual Hydro-Gear ZT 2800 transmission rather than the EZT. We have 6 acres of flat land/pasture of which I currently regularly mow 2 with lots of trees and other obstacles. I'd love to be able to use this machine to mow the remainder so I can quit having to pay $200 a pop for bushhogging.

A local dealer has a new 2007 model on special for $2999 and it falls in our budget of $3500. Since we're avid Dave Ramsey followers, we'll be paying cash and financing a commercial mower is simply not an option. The dealer is 12 miles away and I also have 2 neighbors that work on engines/mowers in their spare time so any down time/problems could be taken care of quickly and I would also go to them for routine maintenance outside of what I am capable of doing. I'll be holding on to our current 12 year old Cub Cadet mower to use as backup and towing the lawn cart.

Thoughts? Anything with this model I should be aware (or wary) of? What kind of wear & tear will a weekly mowing of 6 acres to to this level of equipment?

Thanks in advance for your input. What a great forum!

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Shouldn't have any trouble doing that much mowing a week for at least a year.

Also, unless your friends and neighbors are Manufacturer Authorized Service locations for MTD, Kawasaki and HydroGear, keep their grubby little hands off of the mower for anything besides the oil changes during your warranty period.