cub cadet rzt50

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cuttinggrassiscool, May 15, 2006.

1. cuttinggrassiscool

cuttinggrassiscool LawnSite Member

hey i know this is a homewoner model, but i bought it in a hurry and a lapse of judjment. however i have noticed that it is clearly built much better then the toro homeowner model. i have noticed at least a few people have this mower listed in their sig, i was wondering if anyone had one with a decent amount of hours on it (mines only like 40, bough it end of last season). im hoping that it will continue to hold up, it does cut well and is certainly not underpowered (mine has the brigss 22 i think that started using a kawasaki), just wondering how it will hold up
    thanks
    chris

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

mine is holding up ok, 150 hrs total. i am hoping to get the remainder of this year and possibly 1/2 year next year. we'll see :)

3. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Mine is holding up great as well. I cut knee high grass with it last week and she didn't skip a beat.

4. wacaweed

wacaweed LawnSite Member

mine is holding up good too, only 10hrs though LOL

5. cuttinggrassiscool

thanks for the feedback guys, atv racer how many hours does your machine have on it if you dont mind. And also has anyone ever tried the mulching plug they sell for it, i think its only like 40 and i think the stock blades would mulch okay, i was hoping the mulch plug would make neater work of those 6 inch lawns after days of rain. also has anyone tried any aftermarket blades on theirs?
    thanks
    chris

6. ATVracer

from Indiana

Mine only has a hair over 20 hours on it. As far as a mulch plug I have no idea but the stock blades are made somewhat for mulching. I really need to consider getting a bagging system but my dealer doesn't know the price and the website didn't have them on there the last time I checked. I am thinking they are like $450.

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

if you do many lawns at all, it wont last the season.... people should not rush into these things like they do.... try a search on these models......

im sorry but is a waste of money... that could have been spent on worth wile equipment...

8. ATVracer

from Indiana

I was waiting for someone to make that comment...............I couldn't see spending 6 k on a commercial mower when I started out and I hate buying used so that's why I bought mine. Oh well another 20 hours and it will have paid for itself...after that it's all profit.

9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i was not in a position to spend more than 3k and hate used equip also. it paid for itself in the first year and i'm putting money away each week as a replacement fund for a commercial one. i started with a troy-built pos and when it finally self-destructed i bought the cub. i don't think its wise to overextend yourself, especially as a part-timer like me. when it eventually craps out, as ALL equipment does, my mower fund will be established and i won't have to take out a 5 year note on a mower.

10. cuttinggrassiscool

now dave i know that it will not have nearly the life of a commercial machine, but how do you say that it will not last one season. a homeownwer porboblly gets 30 hours or so a year on it, so if it was going to last him 12 years it would be around 400 hours, now assuming i take better care of it then him wont i get at least that many hours out of it as well? i thought i read somewhere that the hydros were rated at 800 hours, the engine should be good for about that, and the biggest problem with briggs is the rings, a 350 dollar repair, or so i have been told. as far as the rest, its basiclly steel, if steel breaks you weld it. right? i guess im asking so many questions because chances are if i sell it, i will lose money on it and have to spend more, severily hurting chances for decent profits this year(college stupdent part time in the lawncare). but if its going to fall apart in a season i need to sell it and do s omething better. my next question is in honesty how many hours do you see this machine lasting, and how many would you think a husquarvarna commercial rider would last?

atvracer, you said your machin will be paid of in 40 hours if i read your posts correctly? that would mean you are making 80 in profit after all expenses an hour with that machine, i dont see how that is possible?

thanks guys