Cub Cadet Tank Grass Clumping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1998tahoe, May 18, 2008.

1. 1998tahoe

1998tahoe LawnSite Member

I cut my yard today. VERY DRY!!! But it seems to be clumping at the rear of the discharge opening. I even raised the chute up out of the way with bungee cord to see if it would help. I am running OEM High Lift blades. Cutting turf type fescue. Is this a problem with these mowers???

2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have a problem with clumping, I do know my 72 disperses the clippings even better then my 60's. I run scag baldes on the 72", and stockers on the 60's

3. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

What year is your tank,

The older ones had a smaller opening, compare to the new ones

We were cutting a small section of the deck out, towards the rear of the opening on our older cubs to make them not ball up like they did, way before cub figured this out. It solved the problem, look at the new ones and take some measurements first.

We also run with the shutes off!!!!!

4. 1998tahoe

My tank is a 2006 model.. It is balling the grass up right around the rear of the opening.

5. Toad

Ok, then the only other thing you can do is to take the bar off that runs along the bottom of the discharge chute. Mine is off and does not ball up at all, only thing is is you have to watch out for tree roots and other things that the blade on the discharge side will eat up.

6. 1998tahoe

I have already taken the bar off before now. Is there any other possible cause. I know my dads Dixon cut the same grass before and did not do this. WHY????*trucewhiteflag**trucewhiteflag*

7. Toad

Well ya got me, Maybe check the kicker baffel to see if its even with the edge of the deck, it might need to be moved some. It hangs down from the top of the deck to the side wall.

8. 1998tahoe

The kicker baffle that you refer to. More info on this please. Is this the piece of metal that is at the rear of the exit back ito the deck???

9. Toad

Yup, you got it. Should be flush with the deck.

10. Toad

Heres you can see, mine actualy needs adjusting also.

006.jpg