Cub Cadet Tank ZTRs - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jkr1, Feb 22, 2003.

1. jkr1

jkr1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Has anyone used the Cub Cadet Tank ZTR mowers? I'm looking at the 48" 19HP Kawasaki rider, and comparing it to the Scag 48" and Exmark 48". I can get the Cub for about $300 cheaper. It seems to be built like the name implies - a tank. Very strong and heavy. Uses alot of the same components as the Scag - Timken tapered bearings, cast-iron pulleys, Marban(sp?) blades, etc... My only concern is cut quality. Anyone out there try using this series of mower and can provide an opinion? The other advantage for me to buy the Cub is that I can get 0% financing for 6 months vs only 3 months for the others (Scag or Exmark)

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe it is the same as the Lesco. I'll bet the Lesco is significantly cheaper. I'd still go with the one from the best dealer.

3. jkr1

jkr1 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I've never heard of Lesco. Cub Cadet Tanks look like they are built better than the exmark I looked at - and easier maintenance. The Tanks have an oil line that makes it very quick to drain. Just wanting info on others that have used the Tank and found it's quality of cut and reliability on par with Exmark and Scag.

4. KyleKoehler

KyleKoehler LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I spent the last weekend driving the Husqvarna, Exmark LZHP, Cub Tank M48-KW at local dealers. I too want to hear about track records on the Tanks. I see lots of Exmark, Bob-Cats and Grasshoppers on local landscape trailers but no Tanks!

I drove the Exmark and it was very jerky and hard to handle. When I drove the Tank is was like I had been doing it for years. The movement doing a zig zag was smooth and flowing. On the Exmark it was choppy and loud (the hydraulics seemed rough).

I would also like to hear from someone who has put the Tank through a season. I would love to purchase one this weekend but am holding off for someone who can tell me about the quality from experience.

Kyle

5. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

I mow a cemetary, and use their Cub Cadet tank-60. It was bought new last year. As you said, its built like a tank. Makes nice strips. I put close to 200 hours on it last year with no problems. I myself own a 2000 scag cub that I mow lawns with, and I love it. The one thing that I like about the tank is the front axle will pivet like a tractor. The tank is a very heavy build machine.

Firefighter

6. KyleKoehler

KyleKoehler LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Thanks firefighter,

How about hills is the cemetary flat. I have some good slopes and one hill that goes 40 degrees. Will I make it up the hill? How severe of a hill can you go sideways on?

If I can mow sideways with an MTD yardman 46" lawn tractor will the Tank do it too?

Kyle

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have the M-60 tank, stripes as good as any out there, they come equipped with a stripping wheels right from the factory. same parts as the so called best mowers out there, have over 400 hours on it nothing major so far. They are built strong, will do hills/slopes, depending on how big your ba$$s are, I will buy another one, but like said before, lesco is the same, and you could probably get them cheaper, would have to take to lesco for warranty work, then any cub dealer do any work on it after words, but might be lucky like me and never have a big problem. More on the hills, I've done them where the top side front wheel is off the ground, the way it sounds they hug the ground like a hustler. Dealer plays a big part in your decision on what you buy though, I would get what offers the best support.

8. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

We have an M48 tank as well as an Exmark Lazer Z. We have had the tank a little less than a season.

It is a well thought out machine. The only problem we have with it is the height of the seat when sneaking under tree's, and that may or may not be an issue for you.

Careful of the financing, PAY IT OFF IN 6 MONTHS! You will pay interest on the whole thing if you do not.

Would I buy the Tank again or an Exmark (I was looking for an Exmark when I bought the Tank)

My personal opinion is that the dealer I had available would decide which unit I would buy. My dealership is currently changing hands so I do not know what I would do.

I would also consider the 52 for more trim ability. We have the 48 for gated yards.

e-mail me at trialsalan@wmconnect.com with specific questions I could answer.

And yes, exmark needs to take a hint from Cub on the oil drain hose.

Al B

9. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco and Cub (MTD) are in a joint venture with CTP. The machines are exactly the same. Lesco's are cheaper (around here anyway) but IMO I don't think either is of commercial quality.

10. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

The cemetery as no hills, but the grass area outside the fence has some very steep parts, no problem mowing. This were the front piviting axle is nice.

firefighter