Cub Cadet - to buy or not to buy...that is the question.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by depotweb1, May 10, 2004.

1. depotweb1

depotweb1 LawnSite Member

Hi -

I currently have a (not even)one year old Exmark Metro (not HP) 36" walk behind mower to cut my almost one acre. When I went to buy a new mower last year I really wanted a zero-radius sit-down but all the prices were over 5K...too much for my blood. When I cut my lawn, I was placing the clippings in the metal bagging attachement (additional puchase - $200) and was placing the clippings in a compost bin behind our property. We just had our property upgraded and the compost bin is now gone forcing me to purchase a mulching kit (additional - $200) for the mower.

On Saturday, I noticed in our local paper that a local tractor dealer is offering a Cub Cadet Z-Force 42", zero-radius with a mulching plug(?), B&S Intek for 3,200...ready to roll. My thought was to sell my Exmark Metro 36" and try to get 2,500 and upgrade to the Cub Cadet for an additional $700.

Here are my questions:

Is this a good move?
    Is the Cub Cadet the right mower?
    Am I insane?

Please offer feedback based on experience, not advise. This has caused some minor tension between my and my wife since we just bought the Exmark last year and she makes good points in reference to that.

Thanks for the help.

-Jerry

2. mathproshs

mathproshs LawnSite Member

Jerry,

I was in a similar situation to yours last year. I had a 33" troy bilt that I traded in for a 48" Cub Cadet Commercial walk behind. I find that they are an excellent machine(actually a Lesco), stripe well, and gave my customers what they wanted, a well cut lawn that had visual appeal. I wanted a Z-turn but honestly, after looking at the homeowner vs the commercial option, the commercial machine is the way to go. In the end, I decided that I would do more lawns, save money and go down that route in a couple of years. This year is the first of two and business is growing.

Furthermore, these machines are not built to be used like we use them. They are just not geared that way. Keep the exmark, a good machine, until you have a few large lawns to warrant moving up to a bigger mower. I mowed a one acre lot all of last summer with the troy bilt. Took me an hour and a half every time. This year I have 6 close to acre lots and that is why went to a new mower. The time factor alone warrants the mower as it has cut my mowing time to 40 minutes for that one acre lot and the homeowner loves the look as wll as all the passerbys.

I am also running into the issue of clippings. Some things that have helped...bought some gator blades to cut down on the clippings and will be adding a decent blade sharpener in a bit.

The other thing is, remember...if your wife is not happy...no one is happy;) . I have worked with mine...she is currently doing the books and having her being part of things has helped tremendously. Be creative and I am sure eventually you will get what you want. Time and diplomacy is everything.

Good luck

3. depotweb1

depotweb1 LawnSite Member

mathproshs -

Thank you for your reply...all good points. Maybe I was not clear...I am NOT in the landscaping business...I ONLY cut my lawn and have no desire to cut anyone elses.

-Jerry

4. mathproshs

mathproshs LawnSite Member

well in that case hell yea...go for it...I think the z is a good machine for the money. Heck I would not want to mow all that time. You could probably cut your mowing time in half.

I would watch for them on ebay...there have been quite a few going thru there.

Good luck

5. sda1416

sda1416 LawnSite Member

I just bough the Cub Zforce 44 a couple weeks ago and i'm extremely happy with it. It cuts really well, and handles even better. Forget the 7 mph it says in the specs, this thing will fly. If you have any qustions about it, just let me know.

6. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

The Cub will certainly work well for you. If you have a dealer nearby (www.countryclipper.com) check out the JAZee models. All have rugged flip-up decks and Kawi/Kohler options (I'd stay away from any B&S except the commercial Vanguard). The JAZeeOne starts just under $3200 and will give you a commercial quality cut with its 19,000 fpm blade tip speed. The single joystick control felt weird at first; after demoing it a couple of times, I was hooked. Good luck!
    P.S. Neither the Cub (nor the JAZeeOne) will go faster than 7 mph, but neither will you if you want a decent cut (especially if you're mulching!)

7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

we have 4 Cub Tanks and love them.