1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cub Cadet tractor thoughts, help??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shannon Keller, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Shannon Keller

Shannon Keller LawnSite Member

Cub i1000 25 HP Kohler, 50 in deck what does the group think of this. The company I work for has 2 Grasshop 721D 61 in decks with about 8000 hr. each both need new trans,and have electrical gremlins, 1 GH 225 w/ 54dk 650 hrs. New John Deere 790 w/ 60 in finishing mower in back. We just won bid for 127 acer state run housing complex and they want to get the cub to work out there. I think its a bad idea but I need facts to back up my thoughts. Their thoughts are for the price of a commercial they can buy 2 of these.:hammerhead:
  2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this the 50 inch deck model from homedepo ?? your gonna cut 127 acre's with these, :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: plus the other worn out stuff ?? I'd think you 'll be buying two more. What you need is a out front with 3 48 inch decks at least.
  3. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I had a cub cadet about 15 years ago. It was supposedly one of their upper end lawn tractors. Total POS. Electric take of clutch burned out after about 3 hours, hydrostatic transmission locked up while still under warrenty. One of the rear wheels froze to the axel and the "dealer" tore it up while repairing the transmissiion. I made him replace it at no cost to me. Deck hanging rods were too small and weak, constantly breaking, Welds on deck where hangers attach were a short piece of steel, just butt welded on, constantly breaking, I don't know how many times I carried it to be welded.

Had a 2 cyl. Kholer engine opposed cylinders, Great engine 18hp the only problem was the starter constantly corroded andhad to be taken off cleaned and the bendix and bearings lubed to get it to work. I had to to do this 2-3 times a year.

Dealer dropped them , due to lack of warrenty support after about 3 years.

I had a son in college so could not afford a new one, and kept it going for about 9 years, it was constant problems and frustrations. After he graduated he was home and helping mow when the transmission locked again.
    I took it to a reputable repair shop and he recommedned scrapping it vs spending money on repairs, I gave it to him for parts just to be rid of it. and bought a John deer lx 277 lawn tractor, in 2000 which is still going strong. I only had one little idler pulley bearing go out on it, the only time it has been back for repairs and this was under warrenty.

I am keeping it for a back up unit and to pull a lawn cart around occasionally, and have started using a Scag wildcat to mow with.

I would never have anything made by cub cadet again, period.
  4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Ok, let me get this straight...

You want to pay $3,800 EACH for two lawnmowers that are only covered by a 3 year/120 hour RESIDENTIAL use warranty to begin with.. and then USE THEM COMMERCIALLY?! :laugh: :hammerhead: :laugh: :dizzy:

Are you :canadaflag: ?
  5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am a Cub dealer. I can tell you without a doubt that the Cub will not last more than one or two mowings in that kind of use. They are not built to be used in commercial applications.