Cub Cadet vs. Exmark

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by mfdbrian73, Aug 13, 2006.

1. mfdbrian73

mfdbrian73 LawnSite Member

I mow 3.5 acres of grass at my residence. It is a combination of Bahai, and St. Augustine. I have narrowed my choice to two ztr's. Please provide advise on these two choices. First one is a Cub Cadet M50-KHS Tank. This unit is priced at $5000.00. The second is an Exmark Lazer HP with the 19 HP Kaw. engine and 46" cut, priced at $6000.00. I don't mind spending the extra money for the Exmark if it is the better choice of the two. Thank you in advance.

2. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I picked the Exmark Lazer HP 5 years ago and never regretted it. Mine's a little bigger (52" and 23HP Kawasaki), but that's probably not too significant. Cub Cadet is an MTD product, and my experience with that company is limited to a log splitter I bought at HD. It hasn't been very good; in fact it has been terrible, so from now on I will shun anything made by MTD.

Good luck!

3. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I have read a lot of post from people having exceptional results with Lesco/Cub product.
    A search should give you plenty of reading, you just need to be able to sift out the mine’s better than yours dribble.

I will definitely check the Cub out for my next purchase.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We have run cub tanks for a few years and love them. total fleet is 2 60"s and a 72". Plus 2 W/B's:cool2:

5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

That Cub Cadet model you have asked about is not a commercial unit. It is somewhat of an inbetween type that is a step up from the Z Force homeowner model and beneath the true tanks. That model also has a stamped deck.

Between the two I'd go with the X Mark. I am a Tank owner and I like my M-54 Commercial.

Nosmo

6. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

My john deere has a stamped deck and it cuts good. What's wrong with a stamped deck

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

does the exmark have the triton deck on it??

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If you mow a lot of lawns you will destroy it in no time. Plus the cut is not as good.

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Well, I guess that could depend on if the deck is 7 gauge stamped steel or the homeowner crap ?

10. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

The cut on my john deere is IMO better than my 52" tt exmark and 36" tthp exmark. I think the stamped 7 iron deck is also thicker than the exmark decks. I haven't read about people destroying these decks but it could happen.