Cub Cadet vs Ferris....biggest bang for buck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gdixon, Jun 30, 2005.

1. gdixon

gdixon LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a house with 2 acres of grass and I am trying to decide on a mower. I have lots of trees, so I am definitely leaning toward a ZTR. I can easily go to Lowe's and pick up the Cub Cadet RZT (50") for $3000. However, I have a buddy that sells Ferris mowers. he says he can get me a 19hp, 44" mid-deck for ~$4800 or a 3-wheel, 52" for ~$4200.

Any suggestions?

2. fscot4283

fscot4283 LawnSite Member

I just went thru the same decision - Assuming the Ferris is the IS1500Z go with the Ferris. Better resale, much more durable machine and you can actually get parts and service. The Ferris uses the hydros and separate wheeel motors not the IZT, which has durability issues. Cut quality of Ferris is also superior. If you can swing the cash the Ferris is the clear choice.

3. T.Wells

T.Wells LawnSite Member
    from PA

I was just in a similar situation myself. I purchased the RZT from a local shop instead of Lowe's but I wanted to tell you one thing. If you do decide on the RZT 50 from Lowe's, go to ebay and grab a 10% off coupon to save yourself $300. You can usually buy about 4 or 5 coupons for $5.99.

T.Wells

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Definately go with the Ferris. Much heavier built mower made for commercial use so it will be more durable, last a lot longer and cut better and faster than the Cub Cadet plus you'll have better parts availability and service from the dealer.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Cub Cadet vs. Ferris? Give me a break already. CC doesn't even compare.

6. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

i dont own either one, but i have a friend with a ferris and one with a cub....the one with a cub has had alot of probs....the one with a ferris has not...