Cub Cadet Walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagman, Dec 18, 2001.

1. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

Local dealer has a 36 cub cadet with 2 wheel sulky for $2100 new does anyone know if these are good mowers and if this is agood deal arent they made by murray

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

they make some Solid lookin' stuff, I thinks it's made be Mtd, Mtd Pro Is Really Solid :)

3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Same as Lesco!

4. bridges

bridges LawnSite Member
    from RI

Well i bought a 54" cub a few years ago and it is junk. Cuts like crap the stiring takes awhile to work. they have to warm up. Not sure if it is the same mower you are looking at. I think i paid around 3,000.00.

Tony

5. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

no, go with a gravely. Better decks, wider exit chute, better controls. probably a better warrenty, I believe they have the same motors (kaw.), and i my opinion BETTER, for about the same low price. Won't it be hard to use a sullky w/a 36"

6. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

$2100 is a good price for all you say is included.

The equivalent from Gravely is about $2599 list price.

The 2-wheel sulky would be from Wright mfg not an el-cheapo.

The top speed is 7mph for Gravely vs under 6 from MTD.

The blade tip speed of the Gravely is 18990fpm vs less than 18,000 from MTD.

The warranty is 2 years parts and labor from Gravely. I am not sure what MTD's is.

The new Gravely walks have a 13HP twin Kawasaki engine and I am certain the unit you are looking at is a single cylinder....what does this mean??? Less vibration smoother power.

The Gravely has an optional double blade kit and striper kit available....the MTD has whatever you put on it but you may void some warranty if the MFG finds out about the double blades.

Of course the best way is to demo one or ask for referrals from the dealerships you are considering. The proof will be in the testing of the lawns you wish to look their best.

Good luck in your decision making process!

Barry
    Gravely Guy

7. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

There may be some specials in the early Spring. Ask your dealer for what is possible.

Barry
    Gravely Guy

8. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

I dont know where you bought a 54" cub for 3000 but id like to find it. I have one and have had no problems with it. I bought it new and on sale for 7100. It is the same as mtd pro and they do mow very well. Built strong and u can get the wb with a v twin. I have been very happy with mine but I wish I had paid the extra 1000 to get a gravely. It all comes down to how much u want to spend.

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Grass_ Slayer, I think he has the tractor style cub not the ZTR.
    I have the MTD Pro Z and have had good luck with it so far this year.

10. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

my dealer here said that mtd is doing away with mtd pro and turning everything into cub cadet. i think they might lose some business if they do that

and have you had any trouble leveling the deck on yours? a guy in my area nearly went crazy trying to get his leveled. mine settled a little on the left side but i brought it back up into level.

jrod