cub cadet z-force 44

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by carjic, Aug 7, 2005.

1. carjic

carjic LawnSite Member

My 1 year old cub cadet z-force 44 20 hp mower mowed one row and would not turn around. In fact it no longer moves in any direction. Belts are all on fine, engine is running like a top, just no transmission. Any ideas?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I had a customer drop the same mower off last thursday, He was mowing a stright line and the left side just up and stopped, Needless to say he done circles lol I took a quick look at the belt and the dump valves before he left and they were fine. I'll be getting into it next week, I will post my findings then.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Hah, that would be hilarious, standing there watching the guy go in circles LOL.

4. carjic

carjic LawnSite Member

I later looked more closely and a belt was off. I put it back on and after a few
    busted knuckles, I started it and you are right. The right side works and the left is not working at all. I also am going in circles. I called the dealer and he will pick it up today. I will let you know what he says.
    Thanks

5. Restrorob

I finally got to the left turn only unit today.
    After checking it out I found the left wheel hub had the splines stripped out of it and damaged the axle splines also. These units only have a 1/2 " of spline area in a 1 1/2" deep hub, Kind of sorry engineering to me but lucky for this customer the unit is still under warranty. For the customers that have this happen out of warranty the repair could be in the neighborhood of $300.00 per side. So those of you that own these units need to keep a eye on the hub nut and make sure it stays tight, And those of you who are thinking about purchasing one of these units need to think twice before doing so.

6. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Restrorob,

Thanks for the good tip. Knowing to keep that nut tight sounds like really important information.

What I really want to know is if you were working on a Z-Force or an RZT. Those not familiar with the line OFTEN confuse the two. The RZT model has the much cheaper EZT model drive while the Z-Force has the sturdier IZT model drive. I have not heard of too many problems with the more expensive IZT units.

Thanks again for the valuable feedback,
    Doc

7. Restrorob

This unit is the cheeper EZT model.