1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cub cadet zforce 1844

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mmsd, Jan 11, 2006.

1. mmsd

mmsd LawnSite Member

I am just starting and do not have hardly any accounts set up . I want to start out with as little investd as possible. I am looking at a used 2004 cub zforce 1844 zt. Very nice cond. 127 hrs. 18hp briggs van guard twin $2500.00
    This is as you guy's are aware of is a residential unit. I anticipate 10 - 15 jobs per week to start from one to three hours of mowing each. Any experience out there with this or similar unit? Any advice on a good res unit to keep an eye out for. who makes the best res. zt.
  2. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I would take the 2500 dollars and get you a commercial walk behind with a sulkey before I would buy a residental unit. You could probally put a little more money with that and buy a nice new walkbehind. That residental mower life expectancy is very low for commercial use. Hope this helps.
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you are wasting the money, take mhussy's advise, it is right on.....

thre are probably hundreds of guys here who didnt listen about the homeowners equipment, including myself.....they always come back and say "your where right, it didnt last the season and i cant get my money back out of it"..
  4. BCFLawnLandscape

BCFLawnLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I used the residential cub starting out but for probably only 2 months till I could afford a new one. I'd buy a commercial walk behind first. Listen to everyone else!
  5. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

My neighbor bought the Cub z with the 50" deck and 22 hp briggs a couple months ago at Lowes for $2999 brand new. He is doing 6 acres and likes it. He is 77 and doesn't push the machine hard. He bought it after peak season so really don't know how it will do when the grass gets really tough in July and August.

Check out the new price on an 1844 new before you pay $2500 for one with no warranty.

It will happen. You will get behind and push the machine harder than you really want to at times. Commercial is built for this.
  6. allisland

allisland LawnSite Member

For these reasons

floating deck for hills
    size for loading on the trailer gas and getting in tight spots and gates
    wb will not dig the crap out of a lawn as an un experianced z turn ride mow will
    speed Cubs are slow and dont cut that well
    commercial equipment is for a professional which you are.

Best Z rider Exmark Lazer to mulch Walker to bag period!!!!
    Good luck
  7. Hack

Hack LawnSite Member

I just bought a viking for my first mower by financing it through my local Exmark dealer. I haven't got to use it on anyone's yard yet, but I have given it heck around my house just getting use to it. These things are built tough and I expect it to last a very long time.
  8. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

This thread is about 25 days old, but have an update. Was talking to my neighbor and he mentioned that his Cub ztr 22 hp 50" deck he bought from Lowes is no longer running. He bought it new in late August. He thinks either the starter is shot, or it's the compression release, but it won't crank a full revolution.

He has been arguing with Lowes for a month, but so far, no action. Looks like they aren't going to cover it. He is 77 and does not abuse equipment.
  9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Do not waste your money on this, take the above advice and get a commercial anything over a residentual. I made this mistake and am speaking from hard learned experience. A good used z or walkbehind would be better than anything residentual.
  10. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

No way am I buying from Lowes Danny. Just posted because I had a real time example.

While it was running and doing a pretty good job for my neighbor, I have to admit the $2995 looked tempting. But I'm going to walk behind and sulky for another season. It looks to me like you have to spend at least 7k to do it right, or else just don't do it.