cub cadet ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaguar4000, Feb 10, 2005.

1. jaguar4000

jaguar4000 LawnSite Member

my father n law mows his own place which is almost 3 acres I believe. He has a tractor style 18 hp Yard Man w/ 48 deck. Think it takes him 3-4 hrs to mow. I have tried to tell him him how much time he could save w/ a ztr. Think he balks at paying 5-6K at some of the models I have told him about. Gravely, Scag etc... (Yeh I Know-this is a small price to pay for the time savings he would have.)

O.K.- I was at Lowe's theother night and noticed a cub cadet ztr sitting outside. Was $2999 w/ a briggs intek vtwin & 50" deck. Also available w/ a 23 kohler & 50 for 3,999 or a 20 kohler w/ 44" deck at $3600 I think. Anyways- was wondering if anybody has had any experience w/ these. I know service is always a factor but this is just for his own residential use and I know this would run circles around his 18hp yard man tractor style mower. Thanks in advance for any input-

Ransomes-60" w/ 23hp mitsubishi diesel
    Echo-blower, trimmer, pole saw, earth auger
    shindaiwa-chain saw
    Kubota- bx2200 w/ loader and 60" deck
    Kubota- rtv rec vehicle
  2. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

I bought the 44" version when it was first introduced. At that time it came with a Kawasaki engine. The first time I used it it threw and chewed up the deck belt. The dealer must not have installed/leveled the deck. He picked it up and repaired it. The cut was OK. The ride was very seat springs and small tires (ride may be an issue with your father-in-law). I also had hydro problems, although Cub may have worked out the bugs since then. I sold the Cub and upgraded to Exmark.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Tyrying to put myself into a homeowners shoes...You stated for him to look into a ZTR which will save him time. Which I'm not denying is accurate. However, is he going to sell the other mower to get the ZTR. If so, he might be losing some versatility.

Can you tow items with the ZTR? Can you attach snow throwers or plow blades to the front of the ZTR? Is he capable/will he be comfortable with two "sticks" to operate the mower rather than a gas/brake pedal and steering wheel? Also, think about how old he is now and how old he will become...will the ZTR be the best thing for him. Things like ease in getting to the seat. Not trying to insult here just bringing up some things to think about.
  4. jaguar4000

jaguar4000 LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply guys. GripB- you are correct, probably a better ride on an exmark, scag, hustler etc... Figured he could compare costs to those anyway.

LB- he probably would not sell the yard man tractor due to the fact of its age and he could not get much out of it. Do not think he pulls a trailer around the yard but yes I know he would not be with this particular size ztr anyways. He definatley has no use for a snow plow as he is on central east coast of Florida. Just interested in mowing.
  5. rodzilla94

rodzilla94 LawnSite Member

well i had one for a back up i went to a local dealer and got it. mine was a 22 briggs 50 cut let me tell you they are junk. the left side pump went out the motor had to have new valves new crank new cam they are recalling them back for the pulleys and left side pump stay away from them matter of fact run from them like someone threw a hand grenade at you oh the cub only had 14 hours on it when i traded it
  6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

That was pretty stupid of me for the snow plow...LMAO!! You put it too nicely, just call me a jackass and be on with it.
  7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

look into a husky. way under rated, these machines would be good back ups. :D