cub cadet ZTRs??anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by northeast, Mar 14, 2000.

1. northeast

northeast LawnSite Member
    from maine

hello,just starting out .money is tight.have a chance to buy a 48inch cubcadet ztr.are they any good?will it hold up to daily use?i can buy it new for 4200 or should i spend the long dollar now for an exmark lazerhp?<br>thanks

2. LeanGreen

LeanGreen LawnSite Member

Wow Northeast, I didn't know the Cubs were that cheap. I remember a Cub dealer about 15 miles from my house, but never thought to go back out there. I am now trying to decide between the HP and Dane Chariot Jr., but they running about $6,000+ for a 19 Kaw and 48&quot; deck. Curious, what was the model and configuration?

3. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I have one a Z42 15 hp kohler 42&quot; cut I have about 500-600 hours on it with replacing one set of bearings. I just changed the hydro fluid 6.00 per quart and a 17.00 filter. If I had it to do again with tight money Yes Id buy another one in a heart beat. They arnt full commercial but they arnt bad with some features of a full commercial unit. I also put an hour meter on it the larger ones have one though. Jim

4. northeast

northeast LawnSite Member
    from maine

LeanGreen,the model i can purchase is a 99 leftoverz-48,18hp kohler command.its the one that looks like a little tykes peddle car on steroids.Ichecked out the exmark ztr 48 hp,was very impressed by the construction of machine.$1,800 price difference.would the cub hold up to 21 residential lawns per week?

5. jcjrfl

jcjrfl LawnSite Member
    from florida

a dealer in my area decided to rent them out 9months ago they get a lot of abuse and have held up quite well. they have changed a few belts and blades only.

6. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

go with the ex-mark i have a lazer and a hp.<br>i love them both<p><br>

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I stopped at my local Cub Cadet dealer and discussed the prospect of using one of the CC ZTRs. The dealer recommended against it. Go for the Exmark. One word about the Exmark though. Before you take delivery of your particular machine go over it with a fine tooth comb. The fit and finish is starting to suffer because they are building so many machines. I just bought a Metro 36&quot; and the &quot;control panel&quot; between the handlebars was welded crooked as can be. While this has no effect on performance it drives me crazy since I was a carpenter before I started into this biz.

8. If you only have 21 residential lawns in an<br>area with a short season you should think about buying something like a new toro/exmark<br>48&quot; wb for $2200 or a used WB for $500-$1500.<br>Add a stand on sulky and there is very little differnece in production rates<br>between a 48 WB vs. 48 ztr on residentail jobs.

9. jcjrfl

jcjrfl LawnSite Member
    from florida

of course your dealer told you not to go with the cc ztr, he probably suggested the commercial cc ztr which runs at $7000. retail and has a 25 hp engine. He wuld make a extra $2800. Keep in mind that you could get a 2000 model. 364 18hp briggs twin/44in cut for under $4000. or the 365 20hp kohler with a 54 in deck for $4800 or the top of this model line the 365L with a liquid cooled kawasaki 18hp/54 in deck for $5400 or less.The engine on the latter should last you a very long time nothing beats liquid cooled for durability of an engine especially in dusty conditions such as lawn mowing.

10. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I must admit, yes I have a cub but I just this week bought a 61&quot; Great dane. and WOW Ill have to back up and say go for the full blown commercial machine finance it if yoy have to it WILL pay for itself..