Cub Cadet

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by mark whisker, Aug 3, 2005.

1. mark whisker

mark whisker LawnSite Member

Thinking of buying a cub cadet 1000 series tractor. Does anyone have any good or bad reports about them?

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

For residential use they are good machines. Very reliable and will last for many years with proper maintenance.

3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go with a pre-1981 International Harvester built Cub Cadet. They are tough as nails and will run forever if taken care of. Especially one with the tried and true Cub 3 speed rear end. How much do you have to mow?

4. Travis Followell

from KY

Your right about that. I've got a 102 but if he's got very much to mow then an older one with a 3 speed is not for him because 1st is way to slow and 2nd is way to fast. If he's got very much to mow then the hydro would be better for him but I don't know how durable the older ones are.

5. MowingInAZ

MowingInAZ LawnSite Member

Never liked Cubs, haven't heard anything very good about them. Insted of the Cub 1000 Series get a John Deere L Series. I have an L120 that is working great!

6. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If he got one with the hi-lo box, 2 Lo or 1 Hi would be just right. The older hydros are pretty good, I've got a '74 149 that is a hydro, it seems to be doing fine.

7. jkm2a

jkm2a LawnSite Member

If you haven't heard anything good about Cubs, you haven't been listening. It's a whole lot rarer to hear something bad about them, especially the older ones. I have 10 of 'em so far, needless to say I like them a lot.

8. Travis Followell

from KY

My 102 has the hi/low gearbox and for mowing its still slow because 2 lo is creeping and 3 lo is the same as 1 hi or atleast I cant tell a difference. 1 hi is the same speed as it would be if it didn't have the hi lo gearbox. their probibly about the most durable tractors ever made but their just slow.