Cub Cadet's new engine choice!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking at the Cub Cadet push mowers for who knows why. Anyway, they are now using 6 Horsepower Kawasaki engines. Does anyone know anything about these engines? How do they compare to the 6HP Kaws on the Toro Commercial 21"? Thanks for your knowledge in advance.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I saw some of those on 'full-out' display on a recent rain day...

And to me, they look like a really nice little mower for the money.
    I'm thinking I will replace my Toro/Suzuki with this little mower.

I think this mower's design, accessories and 6hp 4 cycle engine will fit my needs for a 21" better.
    But I have very very little need for a 4 cycle 21" mower currently.
    So it may be a while before I do so.
    It's just not a high priority right now.

As for the engine, I'm thinking the pressure lube would help. But my guess is that I would probably still kill it by oil starvation while mowing narrow steep ditch lines. So I may just continue to cut them with the whip... and frankly I am pretty much just as fast doing it that way anyways...

3. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I think you just talked yourself out of buying it. Have you looked at the Toro Personal Pace. Its a really good 22" mower for the cash money ese'. It goes plenty fast (4.8 MPH) and uses very little fuel compared to my Snapper. They mulch pretty good and are cheaper than the cub. Do those cubs mulch pretty well?

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, talked myself out of it although I liked what I saw.
    Otherwise I would have brought it home.

Frankly, I haven't had much use for a 21" mower in years in my operation. I have never really even liked the 'much praised here' Toro w/Suzuki, but kept it around because I have totaled many throw-away splash lube 4 stroke 21's.... whereas the angles do not bother the Suzuki 2 cycle.

To be honest, the only thing that renewed my interest in 21's is that this summer I have really suffered from a bit of trimmer burnout. See for the most part, over a long period of time, I have just chose the option to string trim mow areas I'd use the 21" at. So I've became very good and effcient at this. Most stuff I can actually do faster this way. But some places like islands between parked cars, ect, need to be mulched or bagged... you know the drill...

So anyways, this year I'm doing a lot more trimming on average. Plus I have one weekly brush cutting job and I picked up a few accounts with major trimming. In addition, since adding the 60" Lesco Z-Two, I find that I have WAY LESS break time between bouts of wrestling the weed whip... and where I use the 60"... a few more narrow ditch banks I can't mow anymore...

So just burnout in general renewed my interest in 21's which also motivated me to overhaul the Toro, which was mechanically sucessful... but still left me unsatisfied... so I still only use it in MUST situations. Otherwise I prefer just hitting it with the Stihl.

I don't know how these Cub's mulch, but I'm hoping and thinking they do better than the Toro. But like you I am curious about this little Kawi engine. I think it's the same engine the switched to on the Toro/eXmark 21's... I just wonder what it's safe angle of operation is...

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have not seen that exact mower, but I bet the Kawasaki engine is the same one that Ariens is using on their top-of-the-line homeowner mower. The 6hp Kawasaki on the Ariens is an excellent little engine. We have sold a bunch this year, mostly to commercial mowing guys, and they are holding up real well. It has a pressure lube system, but no oil filter setup. However, it has a place to add an oil filter if you want to do that.
    Most commercial cutters here are tired of paying $1000.00 or more for a trim mower, and are looking for other options. The Ariens we sell has really filled their needs well.

6. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

We have the 6.5 HP version of same engine (FJ180V) Kawasaki on a 2004 Toro Proline 21 inch. The Kawasaki manual states the engine can be run continuously at up to 30 degrees(33 percent slope IIRC) in any direction without engine damage. The engine came with the oil filter option.