Cub Cadets

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cahermit, Jul 9, 2007.

1. cahermit

cahermit LawnSite Member

I didn't see an equipment forum for mowers specifically, so I'm gonna go ahead and post it here.
    Someone is offering to buy me a mower (no cost to me)... The catch is that it HAS to be from Home Depot, as they are going to use their Home Depot Credit Card for the purchase. I have been looking at the Cub Cadet 19 in. Cost is an issue, but quality is kinda an issue as well... So, if you HAD to get a home cheapo mower, what would it be? I believe the choices are Toro, Cub Cadet, Honda, and some off brand not worth mention. The Honda turns out to be above the allotted price range (which is about $250-400, out the door), and the Toro and Cub Cadet are about the same on price...
    Keep in mind that these are going to be home mowers and 'back-up' commercial mowers, not to be used intensely or frequently.
  2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 2 Toro Self propelled Models from homedepo been using them for 3 years now,they were $379 each. There not used everyday and are back-ups. They will work fine for you.
  3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i would stay away from the cub cadets at home cheapo (although there commercial line is top notch)...... get what you can, and expect some trouble if your doing any kind of quantity of lawns..... save everything you can, and get commercial equipment as fast as you can..... you will see why later......

personally its a wast of money if your really going to do this... the equipment will not last and will need to replaced many of us have tried this with homeowns equipment and have found out the results the hard way....

please remember proper licensing, insurance and vehicle plates for your area....
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The little 19" Cub Cadet mower at Home Depot is actually a pretty nice mower. We sell the same mower at our shop and can not keep them in stock. We have even sold a couple to commercial guys who use them on a couple of small lawns each week. So far, not one has come back for any warranty problem.
  5. cahermit

cahermit LawnSite Member

Ya I was debating between the Toro and Cub Cadet (and still am)... The Cub Cadet just looked more durable, and the Toro kinda looked plastic. There were other reasons, but I forgot them, as I'm not standing in front of them right now... :)
    I Currently have a Tru Cut Commercial, old but working. But when it's down for servicing or repairs, I wanted to have a cheapo to keep the lawns serviced. Kind of a 'just in case' mower, ya know? Hence it won't see much usage, and my wife can use it on our house while I'm out and about.
    I have a trailer, commercial string trimmer(echo) and backpack blower(stihl)...
    As I said, this cheapo mower isn't coming out of my pocket, so 'saving' for more commercial equipment doesn't really apply in this situation.
    The trailer's plated, the majority of my clients are family and friends right now, so I'm shooting for incorporation before bus license, as I will have to re do the bus license when I incorporate anyways.
    I do find it funny that you recommend proper licensing and your signature says 'i don't need no stinkin license'. Funny :laugh:
    Anyways, anyone else have experience with these mowers?