cub hydro oil?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by man of stihl, Feb 14, 2008.

1. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

what weight oil do i run in the hydro system on a cub hydro walkbehind. the book says 8 quarts of 20w50 motor oil. but the cub dealer in my area says thats a misprint and that you have to run the "cub" hydro drive oil which is like 9 bucks a quart?

i just dont want to hurt the pumps. the mower only has 252 hours on it. i just bought it and want to change all the fluids so i know they are clean
  2. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have the cub walkbehind but I run 20W 50 in my tank. Thats whats in my manual. I havn't had any problems. He probably just wants you to buy from him.
  3. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Use what the book reads. If I put what the dealer asking price for 15-40W Shell Rimula (what my 2006 Tank uses) I would be paying about $7.25 or so a quart.

4. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I use 15\40 rotella in everything motors,hydros trucks its awesome and you cant beat Walmarts price in the 1 gal jugs
  5. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

ok so my local auto zone has valvoline synthetic buy one get one free.

they carry the 20w-50 weight.

i think im just gonna buy 4 and get 4 free. that will only about 21.50 for full synthetic. i have the amsoil stuff at my house but this is synthetic and its cheap.

oh ya he said the filter is about 26 bucks?

is that about right
  6. gandk06

gandk06 LawnSite Senior Member

I think I paid about $25 for my hydro filter as well from the dealer. Mine is for a tank and is a small drop in filter. I don't know of any other place that you could get these (other than on-line) so you are kind of stuck paying dealer prices. The way I look at is; $25 is a small price to pay to extend the life of your hydro system.
  7. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Ask for a cross referensed filter from another mfg they are all the same, your cub filter will not say cub on it just make sure the microns are the same Example my tank filter from AGCO was $11 and the cub filter (same exact part #) was $25 as you said

Have them try AGCO and Fleetguard

Whatever oil you use dont change brands ,stick with a consistent brand and weight
  8. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

I use 15\40 rotella.