Cub residential 50" or Gravely 60" Commercial???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liquidfast, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I kid you not, the dealer I took my trimmer to today asked me if I would like to straight swap my RESIDENTIAL cub cadet 50" for his Gravely 60" outfront mower.

My unit has 59 hours on it.....no problems with it, the guy that uses it, loves it. The thing, when sharpened blades are used, can give a decent cut at 90% full speed.

His unit, 1790 hours on it...dealer owned and serviced since day 1. This thing looks pretty good but unfortunately, its pretty darn slow.

My unit....22 hp (as I am sure you know)
    His unit....20 hp

I am pondering cuz the guy using the resi unit has improved his skills considerably and I now trust him enough.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I would pass on that one. Those outfront mowers are really long and difficult to maneuver. Benifit is that you can mow really close to low hanging trees, etc. Too many hours for me though.

3. Liquidfast

from Ontario

Yeah, the hour thing kills me too. 59 versus 1790 plus......I agree :nono:

4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i would deffinately pass. even though it is a commercial mower, that is a lot of hours. the engine is worn and the transmission is worn, even if it looks perfect, those are just things that high hour machines have.

5. NHJAKE

NHJAKE LawnSite Member

Hi Liqued fast. I'm thinking of getting a cub 50" I only have 8 accounts but right now I using a 13hp 42" riding mower and I feel it is just 2 slow. I could use it on all but 2 other little 20min lawns I have. You have the one with the 22 kaw. Do you like the power ? It looks to be a great buy for 3k? What do you think should I go with it? Thaks NHJAKE

6. B & R LANDSCAPING

B & R LANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

i bought the zero turn 50" deck with the kohler engine. only had it for about a month but no complaints so far. i dont know a whole lot about the diff ones out there but it seems like a good buy for the money. I just need to learn to quick trying to cut everything with my blades but grass. however i learned to keep spares from this site.

7. B & R LANDSCAPING

B & R LANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

anyone else out there have the cub cadet with the kohler

8. Liquidfast

from Ontario

Go for it. I like it. No problems with it and I believe it now has close to 100 hours. The blades have to be sharpened often unless you change out the originals cuz they aren't good ones IMO. I have no hesitations recommending this unit. IF this unit were the only commercial unit available 8-10 years ago, no one would complain. This thing is good for using a few hours every other day or so.

9. green_with_envy

green_with_envy LawnSite Member
    from pa

I got the 42"one with the 17 hp Kohler. Has about 50 hours on it. Works great for going in gates and light work.