1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cub Tank 31/60

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mag360, Feb 14, 2008.

1. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Dealer has one in stock already---looks great with the new seat and deck.
    31 kawi 60inch deck with a price tag for $8499. 37 kawi 72inch deck for $1000 more. These things are looking pretty solid. (had a pic---can't find it)
  2. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

if u find the pic post it. But my ques is, are kawis good engines? My exmark dealer told me u had to adjust the valves every 300-400 hours. Is that true?
  3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

You are supposed to every 300...does anyone actually do it? Probably a very small percentage.
  4. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

Why do u have to do them on kawis only and not kohler and briggs?
  5. mag360

We have 900 some odd hours on a 25hp kawi without adjusting the valves and it is the nicest running motor in the fleet.
  6. Dynamic

Dynamic LawnSite Member

Thats because the briggs and the Kohlers are dead by then!!!LOL
    We have 840 on our Kawi and no problems at all.
  7. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

The Kohlers have hydralic (sp?) lifters.
  8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

There are lots of Kohlers out there with 2,500 plus hours. I've probably seen more post with high hour Kohlers than any other brand over the years (except diesels of course). No doubt Kawasaki makes a great engine. Lots of happy Briggs owners also, but there are several different lines of Briggs engines so I don't have a handle on which ones preform better. But they have a good track record over all. To be honest most major engine manufacturers are making pretty good engines these days. Kawasaki always seems to be top dog but the other engines are doing quite well also. My friend's 27 LC Kaw is smoking blue at 1000 hrs as we speak so you can get a lemon with any brand.
  9. mag360

Agreed. One thing I've noticed is our kawi starts up and shuts down a lot nicer than any of our kohlers. Just choke it while starting then release the choke and away you go---no sputtering even when cold. I think Kohler has it for longevity in a gasser but I'm getting frustrated with their temperament. (efi excluded)
  10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I would say the Kawasaki in a more finely designed machine. I hear several complaints of Kohlers that are hard to start and maybe backfiring when shut off. For some reason I've never had that problem. Given the choice I would probably choose Kawasaki over Kohler but Kohler gets a bad wrap sometimes. A simple engine but most usually dependable.