Cub Tank demo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Well, after reading all the posts by Wirken and the detailed accounts by Envy I just had to try a tank. The unit had 50 hours on it and was a 29dfi 60". I took it to an open lot where I mow every two weeks. The lawn is farily thick in parts and weedy in parts. It is a good mix of Northern grasses. I sharpened blades before taking it out as dealers never seem to provide a machine with sharp blades. The blades are the offset blades that apparently come from the factory. Anyway it cut pretty well but always seemed to spit out small golf ball size wads of grass. This was on the thin section which had alot of dew. Envy said his clumping and double cutting problems were eliminated with this beast....on to the thick stuff. It cut pretty clean with a few stringers in thicker grass, but the clumps grew larger. Huge wads would build up on the turbo baffle and unload a baseball mit sized wad of pulverized grass. Real purtty!

The wads, large or small are very hard to disperse...no, impossible, especially the large chunks. I was blowing wads everywhere!

On to a lot that I mow once a month. The XR-7 with no baffles would cut cut this lot pretty well and handle it with speed of maybe 3 to 4 mph. The Deere with 7 iron II would move at greater speed then the Hustler and just flat out slayed it. Cut in unbelieveabley well. The Tank was a chokeing pukeing pig. I killed it creaping. I think the turbo baffle kept the grass from clearing and really bogged it down. Cut was terrible. Grass was pretty dry by this point.

Next property was 3.5 acres of lakefront with a good mix of grass. Grass was dry! Still spit small wads in medium to light growth and tossed some wads in the thicker stuff. Cut qualtiy was good but mess to deal with.

Next I took it to a few decent bluegrass lawns with some fescue in the rears and it cut pretty well. Grass was dry and growth was light. Striped nice.

Next I cut two lawns with good thick stands of bluegrass. It still tossed small wads at best, and large chunks on occasion as it built up on the turbo baffle. Chunks were impossible to disperse. This is very frustrateing.

I let my worker use the machine to compare it to the XR-7 and after 5 minutes of mowing he was ready to be done. Although I think it cut slightly better then the baffled and air lift kit mounted XR-7, the difference was not great. We both prefered every aspect of the Super Z to the Tank. Just our preferences. I did not hint of my opinion, his opinion was unbiassed.

As far as the DFI 29hp: It started nice and purred right along. RPM's no without blades engaged and moving at good speed was at 4000. It was not lacking rpm's. I was able to really drag down the mower and kill it in tall thick grass. I could have likely killed it on two weeks growth at slow speeds.

It is a gas sucking hog! I drained 6 gallons of fuel in just shy of 3 hours. I ran her hard, but that is insane. I would never own this engine for that reason alone.

A side note, at a Ferris dealer they had a 3100 series...I believe with the 32 hp Briggs. The sales guy started a dead on cold floor model. He imediately dropped it to idle and engaged the blades. They turned on and spun without a flinch. This is on a 72!:weightlifter: I have to choke my 30 Kohler til it is very warm just to get the blades engaged at full throttle or it will die.

That 32 Briggs must have a great torque curve!

Anyway that is my experience with the Tank. Mowers and their performance is so regional in nature. Demo, Demo, Demo!

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

but thanks you for such a detailed review, very nice job.......

my tank cuts as well as my toro z, perfect.... but the conditions must be very different.....

3. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Thanks for the info. I was wandering about that DFI engine what a pig. Did it have as much power as your 30 Kohler ??? I have 3 mowers that I can engage at an idle. 25 Kohler on GHopper, 25 LC Kubota GH, and my little 22HP LC Kawi, on my Exmark. My Hustler needs to be about 1/2 throttle or more.

I did not get the results I looked for with the Tank either. It had enough power with 27 Kohler but it lacked a lot in other areas of cut quality. But up here every mower struggles with cut quality to some extent.

4. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

That is what pisses me off about Hustler they will not use the briggs vanguards. I want a 72 but my dealer only has Snapper pro with a Vangaurd and he is going to carry dixie but I want a Hustler. For my area the cut is great!

5. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

Envy, ATTACK!

Such blasphemy about the Cub, Z2.

Envy Quote, I'll put it up against anything spec for spec and that is about right. A piece of paper does not tell much of a story about a product. Very mediocre products promoted by amatuers who know no better!:laugh:

6. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Is the DFI as strong as my 30 Kohler? I would say I believe it is likely stronger. I believe the reason I was able to stall it and bog it was because of the deck design not a weakness in the motor. I believe there is less room under the deck for grass then there is on my XR-7, and certainly it will not flow the grass as well as the XR-7 when it is not obstructed by kits. I also think the turbo baffle congests things to much for real thick grass. It may help in some areas, but hinder in others. Scag began putting on turbo baffles to help with throwing chunks, but it it was also responsible for spitting these unblowable wads. I never kept the baffle on my Scags for long because of this.

Daveintoledo

I am not trying to insult the cut of the machine as I think on the whole it did pretty well. I was hopeing for a bit more vaccum but I don't think it left as many stringers as my XR-7 did. It striped very nicely. I just did not think the ride, manuverability, speed, agility or anything else compared to my Super Z's. I wanted the cut to be a clear cut winner in order to make a change, it it was not. You really have to be careful turning the Cub. The front end is supriseingly heavy even with the liquid coold model, just as Envy had mentioned. I wants to tear with the front castors even worse then my Super Z's. I am not overly thrilled by the rear tire choice, but it did seem to be very stable on hills just the same.

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

what is the turbo baffle?

8. Shady Brook

from Indiana

It is the small triangle type piece mounted at the discharge opening to keep the grass from recirculateing. That is the name Scag gave for it anyway.

9. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well I thought maybe the 29 dfi Kaw would be my dream engine. Back to the drawing board I guess. I figured it would be easy on fuel. I will definately do alot more hands on research befor buying another machine of any kind. Thanks for helping keep the peace Realslow, it will be interesting to hear Envy's response. Shady Brook and others make the 7 iron II deck sound promising.

10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

After reading post on here about the Kaw 29, I told my dealer not to even consider it to me, I've had good luck with the Generac.