Cub Tank Update

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, Apr 20, 2007.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

My friend that just bought the new 72" Cub Tank with the 37 hp Kawasaki told me if he had it to do again he would not have traded the Hustler Super Z 66"/28 efi. He said he like the power of the bigger engine but the 28 efi was plenty sufficient on the grass he cut with a lot better fuel economy. He said the Cub Tank rode a lot rougher than the Super Z with flex forks and he thought the big roller on the back of the deck promoted some of the roughness on the Tank. The last thing he said to me before we stopped talking was if I even considered trading, go back with the same 66"/28 efi Hustler Super Z. I told him my mower had been nothing but as near perfect as any mower I had ever owned and I would not consider anything else unless they had a 36 efi and then I would trade tomorrow. This man is 60 years old and has run ever mower made so I trust his opinion more than any one else. I have seen him run a mower 50 hrs. and trade it because it just did not meet his expectations and he will probably trade this one shortly from listening to his tone of voice while talking about the Cub Tank and he has the best one they make.

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Anybody with any brain should have known the Tank will ride rougher because its a rigid machine and doesnt have flex forks. I bet he also hasnt checked and set the air pressure in the tires either. Ours had way to much air in the tires when we got it so I dropped it down and it rode much better. Does his have a suspension seat? The roller on the back of the deck has nothing to do with how rough the machine rides. That is a striping roller which other companys make people pay upwards of $300 for. Also he doesnt have the best one they make. Te best one has the CAT diesel and that thing is an animal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

OK so what is your point? Why did he trade to begin with? He must have been dissatisfied to begin with, or he would have never gone with another brand. Ok rough ride and too much power that sucks gas. That should have been a given when your increasing your HP by almost 10HP. Seems like you Hustler guy's want to bash Cub's all the time. Just my opinion though. However, I observe well.

Oh yea I haven't heard of no Cub's getting bought back because of problems that they couldn't fix!!

Matt

4. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I currently run Exmark and Hustler ZTR's. I wish my guys and I had the experience with the Cub/Lesco Z2 as so many people have had on this site. To be totally honest Lesco sells them for really cheap; a lot of companies have them but no one likes them. We have demoed them several times and my guys asked me "please not to buy one and to just stop demoing them". My best friend has one and his guys really don't like it and it has less than 400hrs in six seasons. Not bashing just honest.

5. puppypaws

He was checking air pressure before your daddy and mama were even married much less thought about you, he runs 8 lbs. in the front and 10 in the back. He does have the best Cub Tank has to offer just not with the high dollar Cat name on the rear, you would be able to tell very little difference in power between a 28 diesel and a 37 hp gas but you should know that being the Pro Street Camaro.

6. puppypaws

This man has owned twice as many commercial ztr's as you are old. He was satisfied with what he had but wanted to try the 37 Kawasaki and he can afford to trade every week if he wanted to. Nobody bashed any mower, he gave his opinion based on his experience with both mowers and a man that has owned the best of about every ztr that has been made should have a good bit of knowledge about the pros and cons of everything he has owned and personally operated. This man is not loyal to any brand and will tell you the exact truth whether you like to hear it or not. There are some people interested in a unbiased opinion.

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I dbout that very much. My father is 58 and still works with me every day. He started this business over 30 years ago. I know there isnt much difference between the cat and the 37hp engine I was just saying thats the best one they make. I know all about cars and building them. Actually we just got a 1963 fully tubbed Chevy II nova that I am putting an engine in this weekend. This winter I am going to build a destroked 400 (377) for it and if money is right I may do a twin turbo setup on it with a blow through 1050 dominator. Should be a fun 8 second street car! :cool2:

Also when Hustler decides to make a deck that cuts worth a crap in northern grass let me know. Maybe i will try one out. till then Hustler can keep them down south where they belong.

8. puppypaws

I kinda thought you may know a little about engines, there is a tremendous amount of round and round racing in this being the Charlotte, NC area, home of the Nascar Hall of Fame. I am a drag racing fan myself and not interested in round and round in circles racing.

9. mhussey

mhussey LawnSite Senior Member

I understand that the guy has an unbiased opinion. I wasn't really singling you out either. However, it seems as though a lot of folk's seem to pick on the Cub Tanks and the Z2's. I don't personally have one, but I do observe this "bashing" all the time. Matter of fact I don't have either of the 2 machines we are referring too. I am loyal to red ( Toro/Exmark).

I have seen the cut from these machines and they are second to none. They seem to be a quality mower. It's what ever a man wants.

Matt

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well the Hustler does ride very well with the flex forks. Just a little bouncy sometimes. If they ever get a little dampening on those forks that would really be a dream machine to sit on for 8 hrs. Tire pressure can have a lot to do with the ride and often demo's have too much air. I tested several Turf Tigers that seem to ride very rough but the one I bought actually rides decent with the right amount of air in the back. In fact it rides better than the Lazer with the suspension seat which really surprises me because my suspension seat hasn't come in yet and I'm fairly satisfied already.