CubCadet Commercial - Demo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LakeCountry, May 29, 2001.

1. LakeCountry

LakeCountry LawnSite Member

Demo'd a 48" WBH with a Sulky this weekend and was very impressed. Cut quality is great and the speed was very impressive. Up in Lake Country - Minnesota we have a lot of lake grasses that have really sandy soils. I was going between manicured lawns and these lake grass areas and didn't see a change at all in cut quality. I finished approximately three acres in an hour and 45 minutes. Keep in mind I am rookie...

I was using a fixed deck that caused a couple of problems in varied terrain. I feel a floater would better cut those dips - no scalping however.

$4800 with Hydros and the sulky, 17hp Kawi... Any thoughts from the gallery? This would be a starter machine...
  2. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

Hey great price wish I had a great deal like that when I first started..
    good luck with your biz...
  3. Way too much money for a walkbehind. Either buy a used Toro
    gear drive for less than a grand or buy a slightly used
    eXmark/Toro HP ZTR.

A lot of fake LCO's buy those new little ztrs and go belly up on
    a weekly basis.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the Stone. Get something that has a reputation for quality.
  5. LakeCountry

LakeCountry LawnSite Member

I was looking at Cub because it is in joint development with Lesco. I don't want to start out with a gear drive that I am going to want to replace in a year because of its limitations.

The Toro is nice, but that T-bar set up for stearing is a little akward for me. I have also heard that ExMark is going to have some issues ahead considering possible dillusion due to their recent purchase.

I am looking into all options so I know I get a good product but also have to realize that Brainerd Minnesota is no metropolis, so the dealer I go with is only one of a few that carry commercial gear. I don't want to have to Drive to St. Cloud to get my equipment serviced...

I thought $4800 was reasonable for a new 48" Hydro machine?
  6. dhicks

dhicks Member

If that machine is right for you buy it. I paid almost 5K for my Hustler Hydro WB and I consider it one of my best purchases and so do my customers.
  7. MrFikit

MrFikit LawnSite Member

Good job, Lake!
    Cub Cadet offers a nice hydro, 17HP 48" cut float deck that does an excellent job as well. It might be just what you are looking for. Try it, if you like it, then you should but it! Sounds like a good deal. You can buy used like 65 said, but I think you would be disappointed. You don't know the history of a used machine and just might be buying someone else's problems. Besides, with a new machine you also get a warranty and they (Cub)offers a good one.
  8. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Thats to much for a walkbehind with pistol grips and has yet to prove itself. Russ
  9. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

It's your money so if you like it buy it.
  10. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget about state sales tax!

Did you see that used Toro Z with 30 hours on the equipment forum?

Shop for a small Z like Stone said - maybe buy one in a crate. At least get a price? Try Savilles in New York. The phone number is at

I just don't think that the brand you are considering has a proven track record YET. Toro and Exmark do. Think about resale value!