cubcadet zero turns

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by curtisj, Aug 7, 2006.

1. curtisj

curtisj LawnSite Member

Ia m looking into buying a cub cadet z-force any pos.Or negs about this mower? I know it is reasonabley priced::hammerhead:

2. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking at one also, but someone pointed out to me....cub cadet is sold at homecheepo an lowes....nuff said....

They do have some decent looking machines, but they really arn;t the best for commercial use from what I understand. I could be way off, or...I might be right on, just after knowing that they can be bought at those stores kinda makes me think less of the product as they are going for more quanty then quality IMO.

3. SunSwept

SunSwept LawnSite Member

Amazing ... just because of where something is sold. As if Home Depot and Lowes actually made them.

The truth of the matter is that I bought one a few years ago. The Z-Force 44. I got over 2 years mowing 10-11 lawns per week. I was then in a position to buy an M-48 tank. Why? Because Cub let me take it for 2 years with no interest and it was only $3700 and I was able to pay it off. The tank was $3000 more.

It served the purpose ... gave me a zero turn that worked (but would not hold up well) until I built the biz. I had to replace the deck and it is now a back-up mower.

Would I do it again? Knowing what I know now ... that I would still be doing this and that I would haev the number of customers that I have ... I would get the commercial mower. Looking back, it was a good decision for me to get the Z-44 at the time and not knowing what the futre held.

Would I recommend it? yes, it is faster than a garden tractor and easier to deal with. After a day of only mowing about 8 lawns with a L130 (from Home Depot) my shoulders would ache like crazy from turning that wheel.

Before you argue with me ... the blades on the L-130 and the Z-Force turn round and round like all of the others. There ARE definite differences in a home model versus a commercial ... even the blades. But the home models served the purpose when I needed of them.

4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Thats why I did'nt buy a john deere:)

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think that his statement was out of line. HD and Lowes just don't carry commercial-grade stuff.

Those places are geared towards homeowners, hence homeowner grade equipment for the most part.

If it's all you can afford, and you can use it to earn $ to get something better like SunSwept did, go for it. Just don't expect it to hold up in the long run like a good commercial unit would.

6. jasonmbiggs

jasonmbiggs LawnSite Member

With the Cub Tanks you will get a very good machine. The mowers sold at Lowes, Home Depot and Tractor Supply are home owner quality. M.T.D. bought Cub Cadet back in the 80s. You are basically buying a zero turn M.T.D. For the money spent on the lower end Cubs, you can easily find a quality used walk behind whose life will by far outlast the cheaper cub. Search around. I use a $300 Bobcat 48 WB and a $500 Toro Proline 44 WB. Granted, I had to replace both engines. But, those prices I stated were after the engines were replaced. Good luck.

7. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

try searching rzt 50, you'll find lots of comments on them. several of us run them for various reasons. i think we all acknowledge that they are not commercial stuff, i do anyway, but they aren't as bad as some. i think alot of it is luck of the draw. if you do go that route, buy from a dealer instead of a box store and your support will be MUCH better. and, as with any machine, you will eventually need it if you keep it long enough.

8. ABeautifulCutAboveInc.

ABeautifulCutAboveInc. LawnSite Member

Personally, everybody had a very valid point. If you have the money, do it right. If you don't have the money, make do with what you can get. But, you do get what you pay for with equipment. The equipment makes you money, it doesn't cost you money. Your tools are your trade. If they are not reliable, your SCREWED!

9. san28734

san28734 LawnSite Member

I have the Z-Force 44 and love it.

10. san28734

san28734 LawnSite Member

The way I understand it, the Z-force is a step in between the RZT and the Tanks. I know the big difference I noticed was the wheel bearings in the RZT are a polymer, and the Z-Force are brass for example. I think I remember the Z-Force having a two-year resi warranty and a one year commercial...