Cube Van conversion?????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AB Lawn Care, Dec 1, 2000.

1. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I was thinking about cubevans a while ago and had a few problems with owning one.My 2 main concernes are this: excessive fuel costs and here in ontario becouse it has dual wheels it would need a safty ever year.

I thought of 2 things.

First I would be looking for a ford cube van,the 1 big problem is that from what I have seen,they only come in gas with a 460.I was thinking,could you take a fuel ingected 300 big six and put it in the cube van?????Would the engine be able to hook up to the tranny in a cube van??????

Also I was thinking about the yearly safety.You could just take the outer wheels of the dually,but it would look stupid and I would think that it would be unstable.Could you not find a set of extra wide set of rims and tires for it??????Just as wide or a little less than the stock duals???????

Ok maby i'm dreaming here but you never know!

Anyone know if either could be done?????

2. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

the only thing i would say is dont remove the dual rear wheels! I once saw a 97 ford f350 dump at auction that went for less than four grand for that reason. otherwise it would have been a 20 grand truck im shure!

3. Engine swaps in Fords vans are a nightmare. The 460 is the best motor they make. Keep the tires on.

Don't cut the body down to the floor. Leave sides on as high as the cab on so stuff does not fall out. Make a ramp gate and now you have 14" trailer that you can drive.

4. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

Adam,
    I think a cubevan for a lawn business sounds like a good idea..no trailers..just have a set of ramps and drive your equipment right up in the back. You have U-Haul up in Canada right? Well they sell used cube vans..people buy them here in the States. I would be cautious about that though...because those things get pretty ragged out, but you might be able to find a decent one at a decent price.
    I have over 40,000 miles behind the wheel of a cube van. At the newspaper i work for, we have a 95 Chevy Van 30 with a 14 foot box on the back. It has a 350 V8 with the 4L80-E automatic, and it's been a great truck with no problems in the almost 5 years we've had it. It has a GVW rating of 10,000 pounds, and the rear springs can take a good load of cargo. A couple of years ago, I had about 3,500 pounds of a special section for our newspaper. The truck could use more power (454!!!!) but we make do with the 350. It's not easy on gas at all...I do constant stop and start city delivery driving with it and get around 9mpg. On the highway it does better..it may get around 14 at the most. The big reason the mileage is so poor, is because the 350 is working so hard, and the truck has a tremendous amount of drag on it. I was on the scales at the local landfill, and it weighed a little over 7,200 lbs empty with me sitting in it..that's not light. I weigh nearly 200.
    I wouldn't take the dual wheels off..for exactly the reason you mentioned above, STABILITY. Cube vans do not do well at all in crosswinds because of the high profile. And they are also terrible when you get around tractor trailers on the interstate...our's rocks back and forth and you have to really saw at the steering wheel to keep it going straight. Also..i like the thought of having an extra wheel and tire back there incase the other should blow out.
    One thing that i do want to mention to you that i think is important. The pass through door from the cab to the box on our truck is not air tight. You might get gas fumes coming into the cab of the truck. I go to get gas for our forklift, I put a 5 gallon can in the back..tie it down and go..when i do that, i get a considerable amount of fumes in the cab...i have to ride with the windows down.

Good Luck,

Tim

5. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Hey Hey!I said nothing about turning it into a dump truck!!!!!Where did that come from???????

6. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

I was just using the dump truck as an example of how it could take away from the value of the vehicle. also i would assume removing wheels would void the warranty.

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Adam, there was two Ford's at Jutzi's sale today, I wasn't there but at last weeks sale they ran them thru and they didn't sell. He wanted $2500 a piece for them. They were a 90 and a 91 with around 140K;s on them. They had duct cleaner in the back of them, fully equipted and ready to work. Body wise they were in good shape jusr dirty. I'm thinking the same as you but I'm gonna put a flat rack on one. They also had a 89 Ford E350 cube with 209K's on it for $1750