Cubic yard measurement ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bunton Guy, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Just trying to figure out how to get the cubic yard measurements of my leaf vac trailer. Its a 5WX5HX16L would that make it 14.8 cubic yards of leaf mulch that it can hold ?
  2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Also does anyone know how heavy a average cubic yard of leaves would be ? Im thinking of adding another leaf vac and truck to our leaf arsenal. So far we use 2 big backpack blowers blow all leaves to the street then back the trailer and truck up to the pile fire up the 16hp billygoat (attached to front of trailer) and vac them up. I want to buy a 90's model F-350 dually and put a dump flat bed on there and have a box built onto it ( 6W-8H-8L) and run a Old Dominain pull behind leaf vac. I just want to make sure that it wouldnt be overloading the suspension.
  3. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know about the weight, but your cu.yd. figure is correct.

(L x W x H) / 27 = cu. yds.
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I don't know the weight, but I would imagine that it would very a great deal. - how dense, and wet or dry.
  5. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, that area would be a little less than 15 yrds. and as far as weight, there are many factors involved there ... type of leaves - oaks? maple? any pine needles mixed in? are they dry or wet and heavy?
    I have a 5.5x6x8 box that hold about 10 yrds. My dump weights can vary from 2/3 to a little over a ton depending on the factors above.
    So you have a space 1/3 bigger, so your weights would probably be between 1 and 1.5 tons.