Cubic yards per hour???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LawnScapers of Dayton, Feb 18, 2004.

1. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have done the searches etc.......but I have not found much info. on how much mulch a solo operator and expect to spread in one hour. I know there are a ton of variables.......but assume a 1/2 acre lot with approx. 1500 square feet of area to mulch....13-14 cubic yards.

Is 2-3 yard per hour reasonable with a 8 cubic foot wheel barrow.

Also this is all on the front yard.....no trips to the back.......

Derek

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I know i can spread atleast 2 yards an hour by myself, including edging of the beds. It took me a little over 5 hours to spread a 10 cu yd trailer of mulch.

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

THanks for the reply

.....that is what I was thinking......but I was not really sure.........

I just started doing mulch this year.....

Derek

4. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

If there are plants in the beds it really slows you down -- Closer to 1 - 1.5 yards an hour.

5. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I think having plants makes it go quicker. I use 15 gal plant containers to carry my mulch in. It allows me to better place the mulch with less time spreading and smoothing.

6. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

It goes quicker because you use less mulch -- but 2 yards of mulch in an empty bed where you can dump and go is not the same as 2 yards in a highly planted bed.

7. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have to agree with Hamons... The more plants, the more of a PITA it is.

Trying to remember how long it took and how much I spread when my bosses were off the day their son was born......

Seems like it took all day to spread 10-12 yards. I think around 9 hours or so, loading and travel time included. Plus I had to edge the beds. And it wasn't in just the front of the house, it was all the way around. And it was August 5th too.:) But I probably demand higher quality when spreading than most.......

Dan

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

Male, from Dayton, OH

Thanks for the info.......that gives me a place to start.....

Derek

9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I go for the hour per cubic yard.

These are the kinds of posts I enjoy . There is no talk about money,which is pointless anyway.
    Rates change over the years ... every company's financials are different but production rates will almost always stay the same year after year.

10. nuchdig

nuchdig LawnSite Member
    from oh

Some of you are pretty damn quick!!! We don't do 1 yd/ hour. I plan on 25 yds/day with five guys. Mind you we are meticulous, I mean meticulous. I insist on the mulch being smooth as glass, not touching plants in any manner (base of stem/trunk, leaves, etc.). This time frame includes clean-up, and excludes edging.