Cubic Yards to Tons

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Tim Enix, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Tim Enix

Tim Enix LawnSite Member

I did a search and could not find the answer. Can someone tell me how many cubic yards = for mulch, topsoil,stone

2. mowahman

mowahman LawnSite Member

for 1 1/2" crushed gravel, I use 1.30 tons per yard, that is what the scale operator said to use. So, from this, I use 1.35 for stonedust, loam, sand, etc. For bark mulch, I guess around 1.75-2.0 tons per yard depending on how much rain, frost, or snow is in the pile at the time. Hope this gives you some help.

3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

To get pretty accurate weights, I would suggest that you purchase the DeskRef, book by Thomas J. Glover, published by Sequoia Publishing. They also print the PocketRef which you can carried in your pocket. It will give you weight for hundreds of different materials as well as formulas for figureing just about anything you can think of. I dont remember the cost of the big book, around $20 I think, but the PocketRef can be had for a lot less. I think I got mind from Duluth Trading Company but I have seen it for sale in other trade catalogs.
    Gravel dry, 1/4 to 2 inch = 2835lbs per cuyard
    Gravel wet, 1/4 to 2 inch =3375lbs per cubic yard

Earth, dense = 337lbs cuyd
    earth, fullers, raw =1134lbs cuyd
    earth loam dry excavated=2106lbs cuyd
    earth moist excavated =2430lbs cuyd
    earth packed= 2565lbs cuyd
    earth soft loose mud=2916lbs cuyd
    earth wet excavated= 2700lbs cuyd

sand damp=3240lbscuyd
    sand dry=2700lbs cuyd
    sand loose=2430lbs cuyd
    sand water filled= 3240lbs cuyd
    sand wet packed=3510lbs cuyd

Bark wood refuse = 405lbs per cuyd

4. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

a cubic yard is usally a ton and a third.

5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

1 yard = 1 ton 1 cubic yard = 27 cu ft.

a John Deer or Ford Tractor with loader on the front equals 1 yard a payloader bucket equals 3. You'll find that going to the quarry n other suppliers youll get a lil more or a lil less it can be a real pita, but thats how it goes....guys givin half buckets etc.

Jeff

6. TREEGODFATHER

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

We calculate wood chips at 550# cu/yd.

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I'm with NNJLANDMAN on this one...for doing a stone install, we figure a ton of the stone covers about the same as a ton of mulch although we dont put down 3 inches of stone in a new bed like we do for mulch. We do a fair amount of stone installs and this formula has worked fine for us...and its simple to calculate

8. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you two nuts???

"1 yard= 1 ton"???? So you are saying that one yard of feathers (extreme, I know) wieghs a ton? I don't think so...

If that's the case for mulch, then how do we routinely (mainly in the spring) put 15+ yards on a 12k trailer??? And pull it with an F350?

There's been better answers, but generally we figure crushed stone at 1.5 tons/yard, mulch is figured around 700-900 pounds/yard, depending on how wet it is.

Oh, then there's this one:
    Hmmm, if that's the case, then I guess I load about 30+ yards on that 12k trailer.... Didn't know that 4300 JD could load that much at a time.:rolleyes:

It all depends on the bucket that's on the machine. The 4300 at work has a 9 cubic foot bucket, struck. Heaped (with mulch), I figure it's darn close to 1/2 yard.

Skidsteers are anywhere from 1/2 yard to 2 yard buckets.

Payloaders, I've seen anywhere from 1 yard to probably better than 10...

That statement is like saying every WB mower is a 36" and every ZTR mower is a 50". Or for Eric, every bucket truck is a 50 footer.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dan

9. Loganwildman

Loganwildman LawnSite Member

For dirt, the generally accepted rule of thumb is 1-1/2 tons per yard.

10. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

Nuts isn't the word for it. Especially when you're talking mulch. I always figured approx. 700lbs./yd. for mulch. I put 2 1/2 yds. of mulch in the bed of an F-150 all the time. So with GarPas figures, my 1/2 ton truck carries 5,000 lbs. Man, I got a bad azz truck with a bad azz V-6. Get real.