Cultivator attachment on an Echo uses?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I was wondering if anyone uses one of the cultivator attachments on a Echo Trimmer for cutting through a sod layer in prep. for landscapeing. I have to cut through sod up against homes on occasion and am afraid to get a sod cutter in there, will they work for this application. Are there other uses besides mixing mulch, dirt, and cutting up weeds and such? Any idea on how much this attachment is costing these days?

2. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't use mine except for already cultivated soils. I have fabricated a pair of Mantis star (pointed) tines to use on my Echo PAS system and they do a much better job with less prepared soils than the original Echo tines, but they still have trouble bending the pins that hold the tines to the shafts on harden bare soils. I strip turf and use a rear tine tiller for intial prep. The Echo tiller is just for maintaining once the ground has been tilled with an actual tiller machine.
  3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The PAS tiller is good for reworking loose soil. Hard soil is a no go. Turning over old mulch is were it shines. :)