Cultivator/tiller

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Popsicle, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

More questions from a newbie...

I'm considering adding a cultivator/tiller to the equipment line to speed up weeding. Does anyone have experience with these? How about brands? Durability? The only unit I've used is the Honda FG100. The Honda has an optional attachment for a "border/edger" that would make cutting and maintaining borders a breeze.

Anyone ever buy from Alamia?

:confused:

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I still use a tiller that is over 20 years old. Sure it shakes the crap out of me, but you can put it through anything. I would recommend getting one though. I probably use a tiller about 5 to 7 times a month.

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

We use the mantis tiller. Its a pretty good little machine. You can remove 1 side of tilling blades(& replaceit w/the wheel) to cut a bed edge. It comes w/ a wheel kit & straight blade for edging (havn't used it for such though). This machine now offers a honda engine as well. I also see that Redmax has a small unit too.

Bob

4. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an Echo mini-tiller (same as Mantis). It's a good little machine and can cultivate rather rapidly. I would reccomend it. They come with a Honda engine now.

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used a stihl cultivator many times to turn over soil before planting a bed. It works very well to loosen up the soil.

6. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

I have a Mantis thats at least 15 years old. I love the thing. Saves me a lot of weeding time. I have used the edger it is OK but a little tricky to get use two. I caught the blades on the walk a lot at first and the thing really jumps up in the air. Blades held up to that when it was new but I really should get new ones this year. Pull cord has broken three times,carb has been taken off and cleaned once and I had to replace the gas cap once. No other problems worth mentioning. I will say that if the one I have ever dies I'll replace it right away. Its to handy to do with out. I like using it to loosen and chew up the sod and soil for a hand dug trenches or footers I might be digging as well. I used the edger attachment to help me bury some invisible fence wire at home and that worked out oK. my 2 cents

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have the little honda, it has a good bit of power. 4 stroke torque.

8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Mantis is a good "little" tiller but for all new beds and for any true gardening work the Gravely with the rotary plow or the tiller attachment (depending on if it is a new bed/garden or an existing one) is the ticket for me.

Gravely_Man