Cultured Stone Veneer

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by GreenMonster, Apr 12, 2007.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Anyone here doing cultured stone, or natural stone veneer for that matter?

This is a veneer job we're finishing up. Existing client that we did hardscape and irrigation work for. Some of you will probably recognize the pics.

We choose a dimensional limestone so it would at least somewhat match the wall work.

This is only our second veneer job. We did one last fall too -- I will see if I can drag up those pics too. It's fairly simple work. I'd like to start pushing it a little more, and ideally book the work into late fall/winter to extend the season.

P1010004.JPG

P1010007.JPG

P1010008.JPG

2. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

It really looks good ties in with the retaining wall. Good Job

3. GreenMonster

from NH

We haven't cleaned things up yet, or pointed the joints.

Marcus, who helped me get rolling last fall suggested that we could have plumb bobbed the corners to get them a little more true. never even thought of it.

Here's a pic of the job last fall (sorry it's a chitty pic)

P1010066a.JPG

4. GreenMonster

from NH

here's a b4

P1010084.JPG

5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I push masonry heavily in all my designs.

I think the work looks good. I just would of picked a differenty type of stone, instead of trying to get one that looks like the techo bloc.

Doing the masonry is what seperates a good hardscape job and a great hardscape job.

I am sick of SRW pillars and grill units and refuse to build them. They look chessey to me.

In fact i can build a 2x2 cultured stone pillar 42" high for less $$$ then a techo pillar kit.

Matt

6. GreenMonster

from NH

Yeah, we looked at ALL the different options, and decided we didn't want to introduce another shape/texture to the landscape. If you look at the two different projects I attached, I think the dimensional limestone looks better next to the techo wall then the ledgestone/fieldstone does against the Allan Block wall.

I agree with the SRW pillars. We did a mailbox for my neighbor with a techo kit... that stuff costs a small fortune. I don't find it very hard to believe that it can be done as cheaply with veneer. I find myself getting increasingly bored with SRW walls. I still enjoy doing paver flatwork though. I hope to try to expand our natural stone offerings in the upcoming years.

These pillar kits kinda shove it up your azz too height wise. If you get two 2x2 kits, you can't get your mailbox height at code. you really need to build one course first with something else to get the bottom of the mailbox at 42".

7. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

Mark we bought a great tool this year for pointing that would work great on cultured stone. thats why we bought it, i would like to do some cultured stone this year in our designs. http://quikpoint.net/ looks good though.

8. GreenMonster

from NH

Mark and I were talking about something like that the other day. If you were doing masonry every day, you'd def want one of those. What does one of those run? I wonder if it would go on a cordless -- that would be handy.

I was gettin' so pizzed yesterday everytime a booger would make it to the tip of the grout bag:angry:

I'm sure the veneer could get boring too, but it's a nice change right now from walls and pavers, although we got a lot of that to do, and this friggin snow ain't helping.

9. GreenMonster

from NH

oh, I see now, couple hundred.

I love it when you only have to spend a couple hundred bucks to get a productive tool A lot cheaper than a new 277B, huh? :D

10. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

it was a little over $200 without the drill. i was hopping that a cordless would work too, but it takes a lot of power and it runs high speed to work right. its worth having, its so fast you can point 2-3 times faster than with a pastry bag. we re pointed some brick in a basement this winter with it.