1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cultured Stone

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tthomass, Mar 21, 2008.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Looking for pictures of work any of you may have done with cultured stone. Also, any tips on working with the product as we have our first project coming up in a few weeks.

2. akb25

akb25 LawnSite Member

I have no experience with cultured stone, just so you know.

But, two months ago at a Hardscape Show, I attended a seminar about the installation of cultured stone.

It was sponsored by Owens Corning. The company rep. gave the slide show while a local mason was installing the stone on a mock up right in front of the attending group.

Then they let you get up and install a few pieces. Mason claimed it was very user friendly and that he and his crew got the hang of it very quickly.

Owens Coring (http://www.culturedstone.com/) has tons of information on their web page, flashing details, proper installation techniques, etc, etc.

Also, Contractortalk.com has a masonry forum. Seems like those guys are constantly discussing cultured stone.

If you have not checked it out yet, might be worth a look.

Best of luck. Looking forward to the photos.

3. JJS

JJS LawnSite Senior Member

First things first this stuff is extremely expensive. The stuff we used here the homeowner picked out because they had 3 boxes left over from there fireplace and figured they could save some money using it to do there pillars. Well, little did they know a box is about $115.00 and covers a minimal amount, something like 10 square face foot i cant remember exactly but it was a small number. Well, after we bought the extra PALLET of stone we needed for the pillars and then the boxes of special corner pieces, they winded up spending a lot more money than planned. The stones were made from owens corning like you guys mentioned and was faced over a cinder block base. You need to use the special mortar they sell as well to get the cultured stone to adhere correctly(its something like a mastic-base). We floated the cinderblocks with regular mortar and scored it so the adhesive mortar would bond correctly and began to lay out the stone. Well enough talking heres some of the pictures...i have some more somewhere that i'll find for you guys.

4. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

Here ya' go...................