Cummins enters the turf industry; eXmark first to sign on!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Jun 14, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

very limited details right now. eXmark is completely redesigning the Lazers and is also revising their engine lineup, one of which is a 38hp Cummins A series diesel. It's the only diesel on the market to my knowledge that is a VERTICAL SHAFT.

Also heard they're going to a hydro drive like JD with a unitized twin piston pump. Under-seat fuel tank like Scag. These are supposed to be the next big thing to hit the zero turn market. Is eXmark trying to differentiate from Toro...?

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds good and we all know Cummins is one of the best diesel manufacturers on the market today. Its time for exmark to make some changes IMO mainly get rid of the triton deck.

What I want to know is why has somebody not come out with even smaller diesels for smaller machines? A 25hp diesel on a 60" would be more then enough power. Diesels make torque and if a 25hp gas engine can power a 60" deck just fine then surely a 25hp diesel wouldnt even break a sweat and it would sip fuel to boot.

WHY oh WHY are we getting close to 40hp on mowers????????????????? Its not needed!

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Was used in the Everide diesel Hornet, only like 18 HP though.

A vertical would be nice if its not too loud or shaky, probably only a 2-cylinder, hard to get the shake out.

I wanted an Exmark Lazer XS but the change of direction of power via twisted belt from Horizontal motor was a deal killer.

4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Good power except tall grass uphill, motor lays down badly, too high an RPM motor, something like 3800 RPM operating speed.

5. tb8100

from TX

The Triton is going away. The Ultracut is coming back with the quad-bearing Triton spindles. Exmark may bring the Triton back when the dust settles and people forget about the bad experiences folks had with the first gen models. Deere should do the same with the 800 series.

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like exmark is going in the right direction. The ultracut is a great deck thats for sure. Its to bad deere messed up with the 800 series mowers. The 700 series was great from what i hear. I have never owned one but the 7 iron decks have proven themselfs over the last couple years. Im sure deere will get squared away and the bugs worked out but that doesnt help the people that bought them only to find out they had problems.

7. tb8100

from TX

with machines going faster and faster, manufacturers need to step up power to keep up. Also, decks are getting deeper and deeper.

8. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

Try to differentiate from Toro? So Toro can go steal their new design next and market under their name...hahahaha. It's like Toro is the pimp and Exmark is the one doing all the work.

I have seen alot of info on the new Z's. They are supposed have the ZT transmissions with the pump and motor built into the same unit. No more hoses.

9. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Where is all this info coming from?

10. tb8100

from TX

oh, Deere will get straightened out. They'll eventually take over the mower market like Stihl has taken over the handheld market. Both Stihl and Deere rn their dealers and whip them into shape. They load dealers way up with inventory, but they do a great job of helping dealers storefront and market the products. Alot of companies give dealers products and let them do their own thing, often times meaning poor product stocking and displaying. You hear people on here complain about Gravely and other dealers. Some companies are intent on increasing their dealer network without much by way of standards on them.