Cummins is building a 4 cylinder diesel for the Nissan Titan

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by G. Ramey, May 19, 2011.

1. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

I was just over on pickuptrucks.com. Cummins is building a 2.8 liter inline four cylinder diesel for a future Nissan Titan. It supposed to get a city/ highway combined 28mpg. horsepower and torque are supposed to be 220 hp and 350 pound/foot.

2. DQL10

DQL10 LawnSite Senior Member

If Cummins does do this it will sell like hotcakes. Wish Ford did this instead of the ecoboost.

3. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

don't think it will happen till the diesel 1/2 ton comes out.

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

It will be the day when a 4 cylinder diesel ever appears in a small truck sold in the US market. Back in the old days, Nissan, Toyota and VW had small low powered 4 cylinder diesels in small trucks. Really good on fuel. What is stopping this is how the EPA mandates that trucks under a certain weight must have the same emissions profile as a gas engined car. In the rest of the world, Nissan and Toyota sell diesel trucks.

5. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

6. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

The article says the engine meets tier 2 bin 2 epa requirments which are the newest and strictest in the US. It is even Kalifornia CARB compliant. I think they are marketing the Titan as a 1/2 ton. Ford and Chevy are going to be playing catch up.

7. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

This surprises me because I thought Nissan was pretty good at building their own diesels. I hope this catches on and puts and end to these ridiculous horsepower/torque wars.

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

The Ford Duratorque is a great engine. I had the opportunity to drive several overseas. They are just shy of being CARB compliant. Ford feels the demand doesn't justify the cost of modifying for the US.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

We should have had diesel in half tons and small trucks so long ago but the whole catch is them not making the diesel a ridiculous upcharge compared to the gas motors.

Maybe Nissian will have the guts to do this? I'd buy one if it got the mileage numbers they are talking about and not way more money...

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I know I'm dating myself. Remember the Volkswagon pickups with the diesels. 50mpg easily.
    Posted via Mobile Device