Cummins Owners- Rate your satisfaction!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by FrankenScagMachines, Feb 25, 2005.

?

How happy are you with your Cummins?

1. I LOVE IT! WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING!

21 vote(s)
    67.7%
  2. Its pretty good, overall

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. A few things could be better.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Several problem areas that need to be changed...

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Would never buy a Cummins ever again!

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Am MAYBE looking into getting a Cummins. I found a deal on one but it would mean selling both of my trucks to get it... ouch.

I haven't talked it over with the boss yet even. But, I drove it and fell in love with the Cummins. Please rate your satisfaction level.
    Thanks

PS- it's in a '94 2500 so I guess thats a 12 valve.

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Just curious, is it a 5 speed or an auto.? How many miles?

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

auto. 180k miles. tranny rebuilt at 100k and again at 170k (recently)

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, I never owned one, Only thing I ever heard was the tranny wasnt as strong as the motor.That came from alot of people that owned them and I dont know how well they done maintenance on them (changing fluid).Most guys that have them say the engine is good for about 350k

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have alot of experience w/ Cummins motors. I have owned 5 Dodge/Cummins in the last 5 years, and there is not a better truck out there. I have one '94 dodge 3500 that is used everyday and has 276k on the clock. I also spent some time building a performance motor for my personal truck, and the bottom end of a cummins is incredible. The '94 motor may be sluggish stock, but a couple free tweaks will improve fuel mileage, towing ability, and acceleration. Also the www.turbodieselregister.com is a great site for diagnosing problems and is well worth the $35 membership fee. How much are you paying for the truck? If you want a well cared for truck the TDR is a great place to find one.

6. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

My dad has an old 91 Dodge with a 12-valve Cummins in it. He got about 25 Mpg in that old truck.
    He told me if he had only known the Diesels was that powerful and got that kind of mileage he would have bought one years ago.
    But because it’s a diesel, that doesn’t mean it will get great fuel economy. It needs to be geared right for what you’re going to be using it for.
    My dads 3/4 ton 2-wd had a 355 ratio with a 5-speed; it had plenty of power for what he used it for.
    Lawnworks is right about the diesel forums.
    For what its worth, I love the old 12-valve Cummins!

7. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 95 and it is a great truck; probably have it for sale here in a few weeks though as we didn't get the snow I had hoped for. I'm a dieselhead and I did some modifications to the 95 to give it some more giiddyup.

If you buy the 94 truck the one thing you aboslutly have to do is get the KDP fixed or have it tabbed. I can not stress how important that is. Mine had a 134k on it when I bought it and I had the KDP fixed. Mechanic said it was about half way out and you do not want to experiance that thing coming out.

Altought I voted "not to change a thing." there are some issues with my '02 but it's nothing I can't change/fix.

8. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

Franken,
    I do not own a Cummins or a Dodge, therefore I will not speculate on the vehicle or the engine, despite what I have heard. However, you may benefit from the information over on http://www.plowsite.com. Especially if you plan on plowing with the truck. I believe that Sean Adams also owns that website.

9. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

What is the KDP?

10. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Killer Dowel Pin. It is located inside the timming cover on 94-98 Cummins 12V. It's the pin that keeps the timming gear on the shaft. If it works out you're looking up to 3k in repairs, makes a big mess. There are 2 ways of fixing it, one is to jig it and the other is to tab it. If you go on TDR or Diesel Truck Resource and do a search on the "killer Dowel Pin," you'll see why it's the first thing you should do to the truck.