Cummins Owns the Competition PERIOD

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GravelyGuy, Jan 1, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of idiots in the comment threads :)

Word for the wise, if you a see a diesel and you can't hear the engine over the turbo spool, and its smoking BAAAD...stay away :D

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

That truck is probably twin turboed and fueled to the max on the verge of a melt down. Its amazing how much guys spend to make a B series do that :rolleyes:

4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Doesn't Ford own Cummins? I thought I read in some car magazine that they did.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

6. Gravel Rat

Also International is building trucks with Ford look at the LCF Cab overs and I heard the 650 and 750 share International engineering.

Ford has been with International since 83 so they have a long term relationship. Where as Dodge has been kissing Cummins azz since 88 if it wasn't for Cummins Dodge probably would have gone broke. Who buys a gas powered Dodge ?

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, marketing is about the only thing that makes sales for the 5.7 Hemi. I'm sure it's a good motor, but it doesn't put out any more power than something from GM or Ford.

8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

99% of all gas engines are "HEMIS". Semi-Hemispherical heads is all.

Sure, cummins are nice engines, too bad the trucks fall apart around them.

9. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't care what you are driving, to run 11.50's in the quarter takes money.

10. Gravel Rat

That Cummins probably has atleast 10 grand invested into it to do that.

As for hemi engines I seriously doubt the new ones are like the ones of the 1960s-70s those were decent sized engines. I think the displacement was 426 cid. Dodges tried and true engine was the 318 made for years the problem with Dodge in the early years was the weak ignition and gear drive starter. Dodge never did build a truck that would last the old ones had good driveline but the cheap sheet metal would fall off.

If it wasn't for the Cummins option in the Dodge trucks I really doubt they would have many sales otherwise.