Cummins powered Dodge

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lwcmattlifter, Jan 24, 2006.

1. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I'm thinking about buying a low mileage 4x4 2500 ram 5.9 CTD/man trans. What are the problem areas I should look at? Are there any years I should avoid? I'm new to dodge and cummins, help me out a little.

Matt

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Can't beat the Cummins diesel, it's made to pull unlike V-8 diesels. The I-6 of the Cummins produces it's HP and torque lower in the RPM range as compared to the V-8 diesels whose HP and torque or higher in the RPM range.

3. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

What year are you looking at?

4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I found out with mine, the harder they are working, the better they shine

5. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know a guy who's getting ready to part out his '97 Dodge 3500 12V Cummins if you want the engine...

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

The engines on these are very good to say the least, what year are you looking at, there are 3 "generations" of these trucks all with their own respectable problems.

7. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I'm looking at late 2nd gen or early 3rd gen. I know the injector pumps occasionally go out and their expensive to replace. Is their anything I should be looking for before I buy?

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I made the switch to a cummins diesel a couple years ago, and have never regretted it. The power, mileage are the best points. As someone else stated " the harder they are worked, the more they will shine" is the truth...

Here are a few sites to see what other dodge cummins owners feel about them

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/

http://www.dieselram.com/

9. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I read that Toyota is eyeing Cummins mighty hard for their HD pickup for '09. Rumor has it that it will be a V-8.

10. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I'd think Toyota would be designing their own motors for their trucks, but not totally positive. it'd be more awesome if they put the 3.3L diesels from the Izuzu trucks in em though, plus like a 7 spd tranny. thats just me though.