cummins vs powerstroke

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cutbetterthanyou, Nov 8, 2012.

1. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

Not trying to start a war, but which one would you choose under $10,000. I had a 01 ford that everything broke on but the motor ( alot of this was due to me being young and wide open:drinkup::nono:) but it still is making me lean toward the cummins. Everyone rants and raves about them, but i always felt that dodge was kindof bottom of the bucket, they just seem cheaply built mostly inside. Ideally i would buy another duramax but 10k isn't going to buy much of a duramax maybe a 2wd or one with 200k+ miles. What do you guys think? I found a decent deal on a 94 cummins 4x4 ,what kindof mpg should i expect if i get it?

2. Boaz

Boaz LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I was on the fence as well when I was looking for a diesel truck. Both motors are great, I think the cummins will edge the powerstroke out in fuel economy, but its a pretty small margin. I based my decision on the truck itself. Both engines are good and proven. I personally prefer ford trucks over dodge. Simple as that. I think that Dodge trucks are just not built as well as fords. Super Dutys are over built and I think will outlast a dodge truck. This is just my 2 cents.

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Powersmoke...
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

I think you know my answer.

5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

B-series cummins any day.

6. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

cummins hands down...just look at how its built compared to a powersmoke and you'll see. i'm talking about the motor only, cummins will outlast anything on the road. both the ford and dodge chassis are alot stronger than the dmax's. both are solid axle trucks built like tanks underneath

7. Boaz

Boaz LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

FWIW, when this 7.3 Dies I plan on doing the cummins conversion on the truck. Just to do it. Why not?

8. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm leaning towarsd the dodge never had one and everyone that has a old 12v loves them. I have had a duramax for 85k nearabout problem free miles, moreless only major problem was front hubs. The 01 250 by 80k i spent over 6k in. And my other 2wd f350 when i traded it in at 40k the whole front end was shot. How are the dodge drivetrain in say like a 94 bodystyle mostly the frontends and auto trans? I know they are straght axles but so was my 01 f250 it still needed hubs and stuff steering stuff. I'm not dead set against a pstroke but with under 10k (like to keep it around 5 but willing to go up to 10)to spent i fell like what i'm going to find is probally going to be wore out or outragous priced

9. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

any 3/4 or 1 ton diesel truck is going to have front end issues eventually, and most likely sooner than their gas or half ton counterparts. diesel's weigh ALOT more which equals out to things wearing quicker. i have yet to hear of a 3/4 or 1 ton truck brand that doesn't have front end issues, and by issues i mean wearing out relatively quickly compared to a car.

10. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go with the cummins. I6 has less to go wrong/break/fail then any V8, gas or diesel for that matter.