cummins vs powerstroke

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cutbetterthanyou, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

Rule of thumb if you like the idea if a truck get a half ton if you need a truck 3/4 ton if you work a truck 1 ton plus. Both engines are awesome. Ford designed their trans and frame for towing. Dodge is good as well but their trans is something to be desired till you reach the 4500 series.

2. grasscutter24

grasscutter24 LawnSite Member

I have an 08 F350 diesel and it's in the shop more than I use it for work. I have contemplated selling it, but don't feel like making another truck payment. Stay away from Ford.

3. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

There's not really a truck that is "better" then others, they all have their pros & cons.

I currently just bought a 2009 I6 6.7L 3500 dodge cummins and I love it, LOTS of power to pull, the only down side with these trucks is the front end, which is not so reliable.

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I'd say powerstroke, but I have a bias opinion because I own 4 of them. The only one that has had any type of issue has been the 6.0, IMHO the 7.3 is pretty near bulletproof.

5. TeamYardsale4

TeamYardsale4 LawnSite Senior Member

IMHO if you are looking at a $10k diesel its gonna be early 2000 or late 90's when comparing the dodgeVSford for those years Id have to say the ford has proven to have a very strong 7.3 motor and the tranny is bulletproof, Dodges back then only had a motor everything else on them was garbage! they have only become more superior in the last 5 years over ford. BUT i am also a bit biased so I would say hold out and find a duramax haha good luck!!

6. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

U R correct about the early 2000s late 90s is what i am looking at, but i wouldn't say that the 7.3s trannys are bulletproof mine when out with 80k on the truck and at the time the owner of the trans shop said "don't feel bad we do at least 2 a week and almost all of them have under 100k on them". Apparrently they have alot of parts built out of aluminum that shouldn't be. He said that once updated to steel parts along with a good converter they are one of the best trans ,but not from the factory. If dodge is worst maybe i should hold out for a duramax.

7. TeamYardsale4

TeamYardsale4 LawnSite Senior Member

Again it is just my thoughts, Im sure a dodge guy will come on here real soon and tell you the exact opposite haha, I have friends with early 2000 powerstrokes and they love them, decent power def not comparable to my duramax but my Dmax is also 7 yrs newer and every year they seem to add more HP and torque. all in all I would say go with you thoughts and how truck feels to you on test drive, mileage and price obv which is the main thing for most of us when buying a vehicle! I got real lucky that I found mine or I would never be able to afford a decent Dmax but I looked for just over a year before I found it.

8. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

bottom line they all got their problems that are gonna vary from truck to truck and how they are driven. you've gotta look at the problems that EVERYONE else is having and make decisions from there. auto trans seems to be a crapshoot either you get a good one or a bad one regardless of brand.

9. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats a good price on a 01 f250 with a chip str8 pipe built tranny and converter 100k miles crew cab short bed 4x4 no rust new tires and cab on back .Think about buying my old one back.

10. Bautieri

Bautieri LawnSite Member