Cummins w/ auto. trans.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Travis Followell, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Do any of you that have Dodges with Cummins diesels have auto transmissions? I have heard plenty of bad things about Dodge auto. transmissions and was wondering how well they hold up with the Diesel engines.

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know much about the cummins but I just ordered a 5 speed in my 05 ram with a hemi. I did this for the same reasoning as you.

3. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

When we used to plow, there were two brands of trucks in the transmission shop lots after a heavy wet one. Ford, and Dodge. Along with the transmission woes, Dodge also has frames that cracked through in front of the drivers door, and the worst brakes in history, they are the same front calipers as the GM vehicle from '88-'99 For every rear set of shoes you replace, you will have replaced 4 sets of front pads and a rotor or two, which, due to the small size of the caliper, would warp from all the heat and give you foot massages while stopping.

I have heard Dodge is supposed to be working on some kind of deal with Sunstrand, who makes class 6,7, and 8 truck automatic trannies. Weather it materializes or not is another story. Dodge uses an overdrive that has a wiring harness that is integrated into the OD unit. (no way to ever replace it) By running the wires through the middle of the transmission instead of outside the case, when the tranny heats up and cooks, the wires get wasted in the process. Even though there is nothing wrong with thier OD, the wires cannot be replaced, so, you just get doinked for another $450.00 for an OD unit that needs replacing.

I love the Cummins engine. They just need a good mate for a automatic tranny.

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Yea, i'm the same way. I love Cummins engines and Dodge trucks but the trans. is the weakset link.

5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

We run a number of pre-1993 Cummins/auto combo Dodge trucks. Pre-O/D trans days. These units still ran the old style 3 spd auto. Never had problems with the transmissions in these units.

6. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

I bought my second Cummins, it has the auto in it and is going to be used to plow snow. The previous owner pulled a fiver with it all over the country. Truck has a 136k on it and the previous owner had all the sevice records and has never had any trouble with the trucks transmission. Keep it serviced and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Want to know more about the transmission issue go to www.turbodiselregister.com.

7. UNISCAPER

Pre '93...727 torqueflight, the best transmission anyone ever made, except the 2 speed power glide. Hook one of thiose bad boys up to a 6000 HP nitro burning Hemi and run 330 mph quarters all day.

The only weak spot on a 727 is reverse.Make sure you are idled all the way down and full stop before shifting or you may just hear that famous pop when the mainshaft would snap.

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Same here. 130,000 miles. Zero problems. Maintenance is always key.

9. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

i had a 2001 dodge with a cummins ho 6 speed great truck sold it with 200,000 miles on it .it was an 3500 4/4 and all it did was pull only reason i sold was to find a dump truck since i have a 2005 hemi 5 speed 3/4 ton as my light truck its doing well around 15 to 16 mpg not to bad for a gasser i also had 3 powerstrokes no tranny isues all autos and pulled way more than i ever should of

10. UNISCAPER

JD:

You live in Iowa, right? No hills or mountains? Mostly highway driving? And the 6 speed was stick right? That is why you have not lost any trannies. Do you plow snow, and does that snow get wet?

If you plow alot in a snow belt, and if you pull down the road that has hills and grades, the two trannies you don't want are Ford or Dodge.

If you got 200,000 out of a plow truck, or out of a truck that pulled loads in and out of mountains, I would open my eyes. I'm not criticising here, just trying to place perspective on applications.