1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cupons worth while?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IrishHank, May 12, 2001.

1. IrishHank

IrishHank LawnSite Member

I am now officially a Yard Ape! I left my sales job to go back to the maintenece biz. I have about ten accounts that I have been mowing, but I am considering an idea. Once I start building up accounts, I am going to include a coupon for say, $15.00 towards a new bed of mulch or a cleanup, in their monthly billing statements. In hopes to generate some more income on days that I am not mowing. Is it worth it? If anyone has any input on success or failure with such an idea...Give me your thoughts. :)
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have monthly specials on my invoices every month. They work pretty good usually, its worth a try.
  3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

anything to boast sales is wortha try when times are slow, but make sure you know what you're getting into before you offer something like this, and also state exactly what the coupon is for and when it can be used, you don't want a customer to get the best of you and you lose your assets if you know what i mean.
  4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

A lot of places work it like this.

Coupon says $50 off a mulch job

The normal price he always charges is $300 for x amount of yards
    He tells this customer the price is $350 - $50 coupon.

It generates business without loosing any profit! Its a fact that some people want stuff just because they're getting a deal.

Hell I'm embarassed to say it, but I've seen my wife pick up huge quantities of something we'll never use at the grocery store and when I ask her about it she says either 1. Its a good deal or 2. Theres a coupon! Now I'm not talking about stocking up on tp, I'm talking about stuff we never had and never would have if it wasn't for the "great deal"!

Give it a try!
  5. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen people walk out of the grocery store with 200 rolls of toilet paper just because they had coupons.

They must have been having a sh**ty day.

Coupons work
  6. dan deutekom

dan deutekom LawnSite Senior Member

I think coupons can be a good idea. BUT NOT like Guido says. Make it have real value not fake! If you cheat it will come back to bite you in the assets eventually and ruin your reputation.
  7. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

I have never used coupons for my business before. But it sounds like it would be a good idea to drum up more business. Just make sure you state everything properly on it. One small screw up and you might have a problem on your hands.:cool:
  8. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Since it's not getting you any new clients, just maybe more services for present clients you have to make it profitable to you. I would assume that you want to make more profit, not just more money so don't give away services to present clients just to fill your schedule up. The one-time "give-a-ways" ought to be for getting new clients on your schedule (like referrals).
  9. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

I have tried coupons in the past. Some have worked and some have not. I tried Val-pak coupons that were a mistake. We only got one response out of 10,000 mailers. I now occasionally offer them to our current customers. They do work.

Good luck
  10. Lee Homan

Lee Homan LawnSite Member

Just remember, once you give regular clients a discount they will come to expect it all the time. Just make sure your still making a profit on it.